[SOLVED] pc only starts when cpu power cable is unplugged :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtsc2017js

Prominent
Nov 22, 2017
Last night unfortunately my pc randomly cut out, i turned it off at the outlet and turned it back on again. The lights turn on for a split second and then all turn off, the only thing that is left on is the front io power led.

My suspicions was that it was the psu so i switched it out for a new on and nothing. so i tested the cpu 8 pin power cable by unplugging it and it powers on without any problem. But obviously i cant boot into windows or bios without a cpu. i plug the cable back in and the problem persists.

i believe that the cpu is cutting the power of the whole pc as soon as i press power on because its fried or something, am i correct?

is the issue with the motherboard or the cpu and is it fixable?

If you need any more information please just ask.

jtsc2017js

Prominent
Nov 22, 2017
what would be the best way to troubleshoot without replacing the hardware as i dont have access to a new mobo or cpu, such as taking the cpu out of the socket and testing or something else?

Really all you can do is take the CPU out check for bent pins and re-seat but since this was a working system that failed it is most likely that the board failed.

jtsc2017js

Prominent
Nov 22, 2017
I think your correct, i had a closer look at the motherboard today and i saw that there is several small black chips near 3 grey large cubes (This being all situated near the 8 pin power port) has either shorted out or exploded as it is covered in black soot or something. So guess im gunna buy a new motherboard and see if that fixes it.

Is there a way to send images here via mobile for a better representation of what "black chips" i mean (likely resistors).

DSzymborski

Titan

It should be. The CX550 will be an excellent upgrade when you get it as well; the newer CX series is a much more modern, competent platform than the one that CX430 is on.

jtsc2017js

Prominent
Nov 22, 2017
Ok so ive breadboarded the new motherboard with only the cpu power, 24pin and ram installed

When i boot i get no singal and no beep codes either.

What do you guys think is wrong, a dead cpu maybe? I checked the cpu twice for bent pins and seems ok.

CPU may have died.

Status
Not open for further replies.