Pc only works when my gpu isnt plugged in

Supertank123

Prominent
Jul 2, 2017
so ive had my pc for about 2 years and one day both monitors decided to go on black screens i reset my pc but it goes to the windows 8 logo and after that black screen again im able to get into the BIOS settings but im not sure what to do. i took out my gpu and plugged the hdmi cable into the motherboard all of a sudden it started working, now i want to be sure this is the gpus fault or wanna know if it could be something else like the psu

Could be PSU, could be video card, could be something else.

Post specs with psu brand/model and video card info.

What I'd do next:
1. reinstall video card making sure any external power cables are attached and move video cable back to video card.
2. run with one monitor not two.
3. see if PC comes up using video card and single monitor. If yes, post (next steps, keep adding stuff back)

If no video with video card installed, then I'd power off, leave video card installed, move video cable back to MB video, power on and see if you have video now. If yes check bios setting to see if its set to integrated video only. If no then remove video card. Try the video card in another PC or try another video card in that PCIe slot.

Can you post what you see and hear when you try to start PC with video card installed? Any beeps? Any fans start -- which ones psu fan, case fan, cpu fan, ? Do fans keep running ? etc.

Supertank123

Prominent
Jul 2, 2017

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/supertank123/saved/ those are my specs and i did all 3 steps weirdly enough the montior came on with my gpu graphics but the screen was zoomed in and my monitor turned off for about 2 seconds came back on with a black screen. the gpu is in my pc right now but im currently using the cpu graphics and i tried to make my gpu the main graphics in the bios settings but it would only load to the windows logo and then just leave the monitor on with a black screen and yes everything else is functional the fans work and are spinning not sure what to do, okay so i was doing some testing and i moved my gpu into another pci-e slot it started working again on my pc but then made the disconnecting sound and my monitor turned off then made the reconnecting sound and my monitor turned back on but with a black screen

What kind of cable are you using to connect the monitor to the video card ? If it is the VGA cable (typically blue, lots of pins) then you could be running at too high a refresh rate. To check this boot your PC in SAFE mode. Google it. That uses default drivers at lowest settings and works with most all hardware.

Do you have another video card you can try ?

Supertank123

Prominent
Jul 2, 2017

sadly i dont have another video card and im using a hdmi cable i uninstalled all the amd drivers and my gpu seems to be working but when ever i try to download the drivers now my monitor just goes black like it did before and when i try go into games without the driver i get 5 fps and my pc wont detect my gpu

your video is r9 290.
--- It works with driver uninstalled, so works with windows default driver.
--- It fails when you load the AMD driver

Maybe try a clean uninstall. That would correct bad registry entries, etc. Here is a link to the AMD utility. I'm thinking when you reinstall the AMD driver it starts using profiles and registry data that is not used by the default Microsoft driver
http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Clean-Uninstall-Utility.aspx

It's good news that your HW works with the base driver.

Supertank123

Prominent
Jul 2, 2017

sadly same thing happens not sure what to do it seems as the gpu is working its just the drivers fault

AMD website has older drivers, try a few.

The other (bad) reason that things fail with the AMD driver and not the microsoft one is that AMD is using all of the acceleration capability of your card and the stock microsoft driver is not. If the card hw is failing it could be only the AMD driver is using the failing part.

Just to confirm,
(1) you can get to the BIOS with either driver. (the bios does not use a windows driver)
(2) the windows splash panel is ok, but when windows loads the real driver you lose the screen
(3) clean uninstall/reinstall of driver did not help.
(4) safe mode likely works because it uses the driver without HW optimization

Supertank123

Prominent
Jul 2, 2017

yeah all of that is right and ive tried to download older driver but they dont seem to work

Bummer. Running out of ideas, you've done everything.

You could try to get the card stable by UNDERclocking it, memory and GPU. I don't know if Afterburner will let you do that with the microsoft driver. If it does try a 50% underclock to see if the concept works, load that profile on boot, then try the real driver. If that works then raise the underclock until you are as high as you can get stable.

Any chance your card is still in Warranty ? Getting an RMA would be sweet. Maybe Sapphire will do something for you -- MSI did nothing for me when my HD7850 failed 2 weeks after warranty ended.

Got a friend who will let you try your video card in their PC ? They'd need a decent power supply, r9 290 pulls a lot of power.

Really bad time to be buying a video card... the crypto currency people have wrecked GPU pricing again. This will be a short term problem so spending $100 above list is painful.

There is a chance this is a power supply or (less likely) MB problem. Your PSU is a solid low end unit. A good replacement (say Seasonic G-series) is $75+, and may just be wasted money. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

Supertank123

Prominent
Jul 2, 2017

ive decided to buy a second hand gpu to check if my current gpu is the issue and ill check with saphire to see if ive still got warrenty