[SOLVED] PC Part Reccomendations

Aug 27, 2021
Hi, so i've recently got back into gaming and my PC just isnt cut out for it like it used to be, and i'm not great with PC components and what works well together, so i'd like your help.
So i'm looking to see what components i can change for a better experience.
My Specs:
GPU: GTX 1060 6gb
CPU: i5-3470
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P8H61-M LK R2.0 Rev X.0x (Last update for BIOS was in 2014)
Ram: 8GB (1 Stick)
SSD: 1TB
What are some components i can switch for improvements in game performance.
Should i even bother getting new parts or should i just save to get a new pc altogether?
Please help.

Solution
Games i'm looking on playing will be among the like of Call Of Duty: Warzone, Cold War, Battlefield 2042 (When it comes out, Squad. Some fairly demanding games. I'm looking for a stable 60fps preferebly at 1920x1080 with medium settings.
My current budget is around £300 (or a little over $400) to spend right away. If something takes up a large amount of that, i'd prefer whatever helps my PC the most, while i gather the funds for other parts.
Thanks.

Yeah, you'll need a new CPU and your RAM is a bit lacking too, so motherboard, CPU, & RAM. Your CPU is only 4 cores and 4 threads, which isn't enough to run most modern games well and Warzone/Coldwar etc are no exceptions. 6 core / 12 thread CPUs are the sweet spot these days.

If...
Depending on what you're going for (depends on what games you play, what resolution, and what frame rate you want), the 1 TB SSD and GTX 1060 are still worth hanging onto. Everything else could use an upgrade though.

How much are you willing to spend on a new motherboard, CPU, and RAM?

Aug 27, 2021
Games i'm looking on playing will be among the like of Call Of Duty: Warzone, Cold War, Battlefield 2042 (When it comes out, Squad. Some fairly demanding games. I'm looking for a stable 60fps preferebly at 1920x1080 with medium settings.
My current budget is around £300 (or a little over $400) to spend right away. If something takes up a large amount of that, i'd prefer whatever helps my PC the most, while i gather the funds for other parts.
Thanks.

Thanks.

Yeah, you'll need a new CPU and your RAM is a bit lacking too, so motherboard, CPU, & RAM. Your CPU is only 4 cores and 4 threads, which isn't enough to run most modern games well and Warzone/Coldwar etc are no exceptions. 6 core / 12 thread CPUs are the sweet spot these days.

If you wanted high settings or were playing at a resolution higher than 1080p, your GTX 1060 would definitely need an upgrade, but it's fine for the time being at 1080p medium settings. Especially with GPUs being hard to find at a reasonable price these days (shortages), this part of your system you are best off saving for over a period of time and waiting for prices to become more reasonable.

For under $400, you should buy an inexpensive B560 motherboard (not ASRock), an Intel i5-11400, and a kit of two 8GB sticks of DDR4 RAM. If you have any cash left over at this point, you can buy a better CPU cooler than the one that comes bundled in the box with the 11400; it's adequate, but buzzy.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Solution
Aug 27, 2021

If you wanted high settings or were playing at a resolution higher than 1080p, your GTX 1060 would definitely need an upgrade, but it's fine for the time being at 1080p medium settings. Especially with GPUs being hard to find at a reasonable price these days (shortages), this part of your system you are best off saving for over a period of time and waiting for prices to become more reasonable.

For under $400, you should buy an inexpensive B560 motherboard (not ASRock), an Intel i5-11400, and a kit of two 8GB sticks of DDR4 RAM. If you have any cash left over at this point, you can buy a better CPU cooler than the one that comes bundled in the box with the 11400; it's adequate, but buzzy.

Let me know if you have any more questions!
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have a look and price them up.
Your a real lifesaver man.

Reactions: spentshells
or if you are just looking to get by for the moment a 4core 8 thread xeon 1270 v2 and 16 gb of ddr3 1600 will cost you 100 usd bring you up to spec for modern games anyhow.

I kinda feel like the move above by MrN1ce9uy would be a better option. Though I would suggest you spend more and get a B560 motherboard over a 510 which allows for memory overclocking now and games seem to be responding quite well to memory tuning. PCIE 4.0 on some 560 boards where the 510 boards just don't have it.