Monitor Change

Asus VX238H 23.0" Monitor
$109.99 Micro Center
Keyboard Change

Cooler Master OCTANE Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse
$39.99 Newegg

Any changes please respond

Solution

Definitely worth the wait. Not just for the RX480, but also for the prices to drop and normalize a bit.

Its just too soon now, and a very bad time to buy a high-end graphics card.

Patience is a virtue :)
www.pcpartpicker.com is your friend. What is the overall budget? Also, the latest video cards are dropping fairly soon, would benefit the build if you waited a couple of weeks for that particular part, and you could watch sales on the others and save some money.

morpheas768

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Everything looks fine except for the graphics card. Dont get me wrong, its a great card (the one I have in fact), but you could ideally wait a bit and get the equivalent GTX 1070 by MSI (or any brand).
Yes you will pay some more money even when the prices drop (about 80 USD), but I think it is worth it, because it is a superior card even when compared to a 980ti, let alone the 970.
Or maybe you dont want to wait at all, its up to you.

Also, about the cooler, its not bad at all, but you could get something better, such as the Cryorig H5 Ultimate. It does cost more though, about 20 dollars or so.

CBender

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
The gtx 970 if it is new it is a big no no at this time, especially at the price shown. At this point a 480 RX would cost 200-250 new and perform better than a gitx 970, or wait a bit and gather some money if you can to go full 1070. Now if you already have it from a previous build it is fine. Beyond that the system is pretty well balanced.
The wifi adapter seems quite expensive, but not knowing your needs (competitive gaming) can't say much.
You don't need to buy extra thermal paste, the evo has its own. Nowadays most of them perform almost the same.
For the mobo i have to say I love gigabyte mobos but for the love of GOD why are their lower end boards not a full atx size. Besides that little ocd detail everything else on this board is fine. I'd prefer the ud 3 version.

morpheas768

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

You mean E-ATX? Only the really high end boards are E-ATX size. The Gaming 3 board he chose is ATX, aka full ATX.
Its not Micro or Mini.

Not sure what you mean though.

morpheas768

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

Definitely worth the wait. Not just for the RX480, but also for the prices to drop and normalize a bit.

Its just too soon now, and a very bad time to buy a high-end graphics card.

Patience is a virtue :)

Solution

CBender

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015

No, exactly the opposite. the ud 3 and the gaming 3 are missing a screw hole on the top right corner. In fact they are smaller than the standard ATX.

morpheas768

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

How is it the exact opposite of what I said? I didnt say they are not missing this "all-important" screw hole that you're talking about, all I said is that they ARE ATX form factor.
I'm sorry, but whether you like it or not, these motherboards are ATX Form Factor. Thats the standard, and they meet it.

Guess what, the standard isnt an exact same number of screw holes. Some boards have ±2 holes, they dont need to have the exact same number of screw holes, they just need to fit in an ATX case, and for that, they have a limit to the dimensions and shape of the board. They also need to have holes in the right spots, they cant have screw holes in random places. Otherwise, if they dont fit, and are larger, then they are E-ATX, or if they are smaller they are Micro-ATX.

I checked the specs for the Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 AND the Z170X-UD3, and they are both at ATX Form Factor; 30.5cm x 23.5cm, according to Gigabyte.
And yes, they are missing a whole in the top right corner. So what? The motherboard can still be secured tight, the corner wont be loose because there is a screw around that area to secure it. Look at the picture, its just a few cm to the left.

Guess what: The Asrock Z170 Pro4 is smaller! Its 30.5 cm x 21.8 cm, and it is still ATX Form Factor.
MSI Z170A Gaming 3: 30.4 cm x 24.4 cm. Again, ATX Form Factor.

You dont really get to decide what is and what isnt ATX, I'm sorry to tell you that. I mean yes, you can have your opinion, but dont throw it around as the defacto standard, its just your opinion.

Both Gigabyte boards: 7 holes.
MSI Z170A Gaming 3: 9 holes.
Asrock Z170 Pro4: 7 holes, with 2 the rightmost corners, but they are unmarked and off by a few millimeters, doubt they can be used.

I just dont see the problem here, can you explain? It makes no sense to me.

CBender

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
Are you some kind of fanboy,? Ok, my first comment you didn't understand it is alright i guess. But this answer honestly is enraging (and mind you the first one i see) . First things first, learn what ocd means. Revisit my first comment and go from there.

The problem with the specific motherboard and the ud 3 (for some of us) is that it isn't the 'half' atx board like the asrock pro 4 you mentioned (which is clearly shorter thus supported as should). The ud 3 and gaming 3 are just shy of the 'full' atx dimensions by maybe a centimeter. That translates to bad support when you use heavy cpu coolers. The pressure might cause a bend on the mobo, especially when moving the case. Now some people might care, some might not. I care. If you don't that is fine. Also it is very nice that u compare 140 euros to 100 euros (where i come from) motherboard. Very nice. But lets take a look at the same price tier. None of the other companies have an offering that doesn't perfectly abide to the atx standard.

Beyond that, every atx case has that standoff populated yes or no? Maybe they are on to something.

Also might want to take a loot at this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX

Flex-ATX ???

Edit: It is not the only problem that Gigabyte has with the standard. In most (if not all) of their motherboards that follow this form factor, the mid-right screw is not aligned with the corespondent stand off. And a decent amount of cases don't offer a standoff at that position.