Question PC performance issues & rebooting itself.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 15, 2022
I recently built a gaming pc and am having some strange issues.
Specs:
Ryzen 9 7950x
Rog Hero X670e mobo
Rog strix 4090
64gb 6000 trident z5 neo
1200w rog Thor psu
Corsair 120 mil rad

My pc began restarting constantly out of nowhere when Any serious load was applied whether it be opening multiple application or just starting up cod, it would even sometimes restart as soon as I got out of the bios. I felt like something wasn’t right from the beginning as even when not under load temps stayed around 60c and never went above 80ish. I checked the cooler to make sure thermal paste was good and reapplied and mounted and all was done correctly and still no good.

I then reinstalled windows and the for once everything ran completely fine, I didn’t get to try gaming but cpu temps were steady at 36 when not under load for the first time yet and then I activated my windows key and then once again constant restarting, I once again uninstalled everything and installed a clean version of windows and my problem is back, cpu will not go below 68c. And if I enable either xmp for ram or pbo I get restarts. But temp stays the same even if I dont enable those. I’m cod only getting like 190 fps 1440 and it’s unstable and cpu doesn’t seem to go over 75c which I thought it was supposed to run 95 normal. Someone please help

Nov 15, 2022
So, try installing only two DIMMs in the A2 and B2 slots, which are the second and fourth slots over from the CPU socket. Make sure the two DIMMs are from the same kit. You should be able to find identifying version ID numbers on the stickers on the DIMMs themselves to tell which belong to which kit. Then, with only two DIMMs installed, unplug the PSU power cable and reset the BIOS by removing the CMOS battery for a few minutes. During that time press the power button on the case continuously for about 30 seconds. Then reinstall the CMOS battery, plug the power cable back in and boot up into the BIOS. Set your XMP memory setting (DOCP) to enabled, reconfigure any custom settings like fan curves or presets and then save settings and exit BIOS. See if you still have problems. If you do, do the same process again but use the other memory kit this time.
so after pretty much trying everything possible i had no luck, after some research on rogf forums i found that someone else was having the exact same problem and they had the same exact model gpu and mobo, i belive the gpu is working good as i put it in my friends 5900x pc and he was getting almost a 80 fps boost vs his 3080./ so i went on and got an msi mobo and sure enough, instantly the laggy and freezing windows disapeared and no more random rebooting as of now. as of right now my only concern is that i still dont think its running as well as it should, in the same game with same exact settings im getting about 20-30 fps less than my friend was both using my 4090/

Yes, but now that you've changed to a different board, you should do a clean install of Windows again, followed by installing the motherboard and graphics card drivers fresh from the manufactuer's support pages too.

And, make sure that your new board is running the most recent stable BIOS version as well. If not, update.

Nov 15, 2022
Yes, but now that you've changed to a different board, you should do a clean install of Windows again, followed by installing the motherboard and graphics card drivers fresh from the manufactuer's support pages too.

And, make sure that your new board is running the most recent stable BIOS version as well. If not, update.
So I did all these, fresh install windows, updated bios and all drivers and now I’m getting about 60 fps less than before cpu temps idle around 70 and don’t go above 80 and when gaming it shows gpu usage and cpu usage both only around 40%. Any ideas? Also only running two sticks of ram from the same kit in the correct slots