Question PC performing well in benchmarks but underperforming in games.

May 1, 2024
I've noticed that my PC has been performing pretty badly in games compared to others with similar specs but cant seem to find the issue. this was a userbenchmark test I just ran to see if anything sticks out but everything seems fine https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/67803545

I mainly notice it in Rainbow 6 siege which I run on relatively low settings anyway but have been getting far far lower fps than I should be. View: https://i.imgur.com/v3Wwk0r.jpeg
here is a picture from the ingame benchmark although it shows an avg of 409 fps but in game it is closer to the 250 mark and on certain maps its closer to 150.

I have tried using DDU and reinstalling drivers, Fresh windows install, Updating bios aswell as a few other things but cant seem to figure out the problem. Temps also seem fine, CPU is slighly high but id say thats due to me having to move one of my air coolers fans upwards because of ram clearance.

Any help would be appreciated thank you.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not a great benchmark tool to start with, only really gets you broad strokes and comparison to others using the same or similar hardware. Based on their numbers everything is indeed fine.

The Average is just an average. If you have extreme highs and extreme lows with an uncapped frame rate the average isn't really representative of much. When you have uncapped frame rates you can expect huge swings depending on what is going on in the game.

Are you comparing like for like for like. Someone with a 13600K and a 7900XTX with DDR4, or just more generally. Did you match their game settings exactly? Did you make sure to turn off ALL other extraneous programs? Exact version of the game?

Reactions: Jack446

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Userbenchmark will not show the make and model of your PSU, nor it's age. Please include it. As for your OS and games, where did you source them from?

Did you clear the CMOS after you'd verified the BIOS was flashed successfully?

I mainly notice it in Rainbow 6 siege which I run on relatively low settings anyway but have been getting far far lower fps than I should be.
You state games in your thread's title, yet you state you notice it mainly in R6S. What other titles have you taxed the build with?

May 1, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Userbenchmark will not show the make and model of your PSU, nor it's age. Please include it. As for your OS and games, where did you source them from?

Did you clear the CMOS after you'd verified the BIOS was flashed successfully?

I mainly notice it in Rainbow 6 siege which I run on relatively low settings anyway but have been getting far far lower fps than I should be.
You state games in your thread's title, yet you state you notice it mainly in R6S. What other titles have you taxed the build with?
wasn't letting me send my message due to spam and couldn't figure out why so I have to send it like this sorry if its breaking any rules.

View: https://i.imgur.com/7njZ5o9.png

May 1, 2024
Not a great benchmark tool to start with, only really gets you broad strokes and comparison to others using the same or similar hardware. Based on their numbers everything is indeed fine.

The Average is just an average. If you have extreme highs and extreme lows with an uncapped frame rate the average isn't really representative of much. When you have uncapped frame rates you can expect huge swings depending on what is going on in the game.

Are you comparing like for like for like. Someone with a 13600K and a 7900XTX with DDR4, or just more generally. Did you match their game settings exactly? Did you make sure to turn off ALL other extraneous programs? Exact version of the game?
Honestly not sure where the extreme highs come from in the benchmark as in game even when looking straight at a wall it hardly goes over 400

Couldnt find anyone with a 13600k to compare to on R6 apart from one with these specs Specs:Motherboard: MSI PRO B660M-A DDR4Video: RTX 3080 Suprim X 10GBRam:16 GB 3200MHZProcessor: I5 - 13600KSSD: Samsung 1TB and he seemed to be averaging around 400fps ingame (not benchmark)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Possibly. Something like hardwareinfo 64 can tell you why more performance isn't possible on the GPU. But given you aren't maxing out the GPU, you shouldn't be hitting power limits anyway.

Might try underclocking the GPU a tiny bit to see if it improves. Instability can be recovered from, and huge swings in demand can cause problems with the rendering pipeline. Might be overshooting and causing micro throttles or having to re-render frames.

Only other thing I can think of might be the gear 1 or gear 2 for the memory speed. That would change the internal clock of the CPU to half the memory speed in the case of gear 2 and could have a significant impact on CPU performance.

I would be tempted to try Intel's new analysis tool, but it is still early days and there is no guarantee it would work with the games or your system.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/tools/graphics-performance-analyzers/overview.html

May 1, 2024
Possibly. Something like hardwareinfo 64 can tell you why more performance isn't possible on the GPU. But given you aren't maxing out the GPU, you shouldn't be hitting power limits anyway.

Might try underclocking the GPU a tiny bit to see if it improves. Instability can be recovered from, and huge swings in demand can cause problems with the rendering pipeline. Might be overshooting and causing micro throttles or having to re-render frames.

Only other thing I can think of might be the gear 1 or gear 2 for the memory speed. That would change the internal clock of the CPU to half the memory speed in the case of gear 2 and could have a significant impact on CPU performance.

I would be tempted to try Intel's new analysis tool, but it is still early days and there is no guarantee it would work with the games or your system.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/tools/graphics-performance-analyzers/overview.html
Ill play a game and have HWinfo open and see if anything is wrong. Not exactly sure what I should be looking for though

as for this I honestly have not clue what this means. I know the basic stuff when it comes to PCs but not much more than that.

View: https://i.imgur.com/2629iyw.png
did just notice this though so im not sure 750 is enough Although even if its spiking very high sometimes that wouldnt cause low performance all the time right?

Ill play a game and have HWinfo open and see if anything is wrong. Not exactly sure what I should be looking for though

as for this I honestly have not clue what this means. I know the basic stuff when it comes to PCs but not much more than that.

View: https://i.imgur.com/2629iyw.png
did just notice this though so im not sure 750 is enough Although even if its spiking very high sometimes that wouldnt cause low performance all the time right?
As per the gpu specs your psu is a little light you might want to bump that up another 100w.