Question PC Power Cycles when Game starts

Chrisn3108

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2014
Hi All , havent been on for some time I guess no PC issues, but this got me scratching my head.

Here goes: I recently moved house, packed up my desktop after remoing the GPU and packed it in its original box.
Moved into the new house on 1st Feb 2024. After a few days I was gaming with no issues. Everything was as pevious state, no changes to hardware etc. From about a week ago while gaming the, pc power cycled. There after everytime I started a game it would power cycle. I normaly play BF2042, but this happens on older BF titles as well.

This is what I tried thus far:
1. Re-seating the GPU - did not help
2. Changed PCIe slot -did not work
3. Changed the power cord from mains to PSU - did not help
4. Reverted back to standard clock speeds -did not help (This is strange because I was OCed at 4.9 Ghz with no issues, since the power cycle issue I reverted to 3.6GHz, but the bios still shows 4.9 as well as CPUz)

PC specs :
Aorus Z390 Master
Gigabyte RTX 3080
32Gigs Gigabyte DDR4, 32MHz ram
Coolermaster V1200 Bronze PSU
Corsair H100i AIO (probably first edition)

A day before the problem started, the AIO pump made some wiered noise, and today is louder. I can watch a movie or youtube, only when game starts the pc shuts down and reboots.
Accept for the AIO and PSU, other components were bought and assembled in 2019, and there has been no propblems untill now. I dont have acces to another GPU or PSU unfortunately. Have looked on tyhe interweb and you tube but not sure if theres anything useful to try without changing components.

Would appreciate your help in fixings this issue.

Regards
Chris

Lutfij

Titan
Coolermaster V1200 Bronze PSU
Is this the PSU you're working with;
?

If so, how old is the unit in your build?

Corsair H100i AIO (probably first edition)
What sort of temps do you see with your rig just before power cycling?

Chrisn3108

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2014
Hi There, tahnks for your response.

The PSU is a much older version of the V1200 (def not platinum version). I would say that both PSU and AIO are at least 10 years old. The PSU was mostly in idle mode i think. It was overspeced for my rig.

As for the AIO, I reached about 90deg C when runnning prime 95 in my current system (OCed to 4.9GHz) when i built it in 2019. When I started having the problem this year, I did a stress test with OCCT and noticed that 2 cores reached 100degC. Though am not sure if this is valid comparing two different softwares at different conditions. I also noticed while running the test neither of the pipes would warm up, and no hot air exhausting through the AIO fans.

The one other thought I had is the location of the desk top in my new gaming room. It now placed in a corner with less air flow around it compared to my previous home, though it worked fine in in the two weeks after i moved house.

Some hope though, during the pandemic when I was bored, i bought a new AIO, but never isntalled it. In the coming weekend I'm going to install it, just waiting for a tube of thermal grizzly to arive. I will report back then.

In the meantime is there anthing else to try?

Regards
Chris

Chrisn3108

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2014
Hi all
Heres some feedback after I made some changes.

I replaced my 10 year old H100i with the Corsair H115i RGB Platinum 280mm, also upgraded the case from Corsair 750D to the new Montech King 95 Pro, All tempos are normal and pretty chill.

I tried some stress testing and results as follows:
CPU stress on Aida 64 - no issues​
GPU strress on Aida64 - crashes immediately on start​
Firestrike - crash immediatyely.​
Even crashes on Kovaaks.​
Besides testing with new parts, not sure what else to try.

Can watch a 2k movie, watch 1440p YT vid etc, only when game starts then PC reboots.

Thanks chris

The PSU is a much older version of the V1200 (def not platinum version). I would say that both PSU and AIO are at least 10 years old. The PSU was mostly in idle mode i think. It was overspeced for my rig.
Therein lies your issue.

Get a new PSU capable of powering your system properly.

Restarts at load are typical of PSU issues. If yours is indeed 10 years old, then it's likely it's the PSU.

Chrisn3108

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2014
OK thanks, im going to try a diffrent PSU before i buy new.

I also reset the BIOS to default i.e 3.6GHz and 1.2V from 4.9GHz and 1.285V (Overclocked). I have confirmed this agin on reboot in the UEFI page. However CPUz, AIDA64 and HW monitor all still showing fluctuations from 4.7 to 4.9GHz. How is this possible?

Thanks, Chris

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I agree with the PSU being the likely culplrit, given its age and that you have a demanding graphics card with high transient spikes the unit might be acting up.

But (from personal experince) I'd reseat RAM too after a case has been moved (most probably in a car/van?).

Chrisn3108

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2014
Ok. I will try the RAM re-seating as well. Im also thinking I will try diffrent PCIE power cable ports on the PSU, perhaps a diffrent cable as well .

Will report back in a few days.

Chris

Chrisn3108

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2014
Hey everyone

New PSU did the trick. Replaced the old girl with a new Montech Titan 1000W.
Thanks to everyone who provided an opinion, especially Roland and Satan-IR for spotting the problem quickly.

REgards
Chris