Question Pc power cycles with new ram and motherboard

Jan 15, 2022
Please don't spam the forum, keep it to one thread.
Hello. I just bought a new motherboard and ram for an upgrade. The cpu works fine and so does the ram. But the thing is it power cycles non stop. It also doesn’t boot.
New motherboard: Asrock B360 Gaming K4
CPU: Intel core i5 9400F
New ram: Corsair vengeance rgb 2x8

You will probably have to reload Windows. Both the motherboard and the CPU drivers will probably need to be changed and since they reside on your bootable media, whatever that is, they probably don't match what the hardware is expecting. These drivers get installed during the initial install. You should probably format your bootable media and do a new install so the system picks up the new drivers.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hello. I just bought a new motherboard and ram for an upgrade. The cpu works fine and so does the ram. But the thing is it power cycles non stop. It also doesn’t boot.
New motherboard: Asrock B360 Gaming K4
CPU: Intel core i5 9400F
New ram: Corsair vengeance rgb 2x8
The motherboard needs the latest P4.0 BIOS to use that processor and if the ram is new how do you know it works?

What power supply and video card?

You can try resetting CMOS and unhooking the drive and see if you can boot into BIOS.

Jan 15, 2022
You will probably have to reload Windows. Both the motherboard and the CPU drivers will probably need to be changed and since they reside on your bootable media, whatever that is, they probably don't match what the hardware is expecting. These drivers get installed during the initial install. You should probably format your bootable media and do a new install so the system picks up the new drivers.
How do I do that?

Jan 15, 2022
The motherboard needs the latest P4.0 BIOS to use that processor and if the ram is new how do you know it works?

What power supply and video card?

You can try resetting CMOS and unhooking the drive and see if you can boot into BIOS.
I don’t know how to test if the ram works, but my power supply is I think a cooler master 750 watt I don’t quite know though. My gpu is a msi gtx 1660

Jan 15, 2022
Hello. I recently got a new motherboard and ram, and everything is compatible. But when I was done, I couldn’t get to bios and it wouldn’t post, and just power cycles.
Specs:
I5 9400F
Asrock B360 Gaming Fatal1ty K4
gtx 1660
Cooler master 750 watt power supply
2x8 Corsair vengeance rgb DDR4
1tb hard drive
250gb ssd (boot drive)

Jan 15, 2022
This is my 2nd time posting this, I got no response last time and last messages on the last one on Thursday. So what is happening is my pc power cycles non stop after upgrading my ram and motherboard, I upgraded my motherboard because my last one broke and I had to get new ram because I needed ddr4 and not ddr3. Everything is compatible as far as I know and it doesn’t boot. It runs a little longer when the ram is taken completely out, but it still doesn’t boot and still power cycles.
Specs:
CPU: intel core i5 9400F
Motherboard: Asrock b360 Fatal1ty K4
Ram: Corsair vengeance rgb ddr4 3200 MHZ
Gpu: MSI GTX 1660
Power Supply: cooler master 750 watt or something like that
Storage: 1TB hard drive and a 250GB ssd (boot drive)
If somebody could help me with this I would appreciate it. Thanks!

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
That motherboard could have shipped with BIOS as low as V1. The 9400F requires BIOS 3.2

If I were going to make an uneducated guess I would suggest you need an 8th gen CPU in order to update the BIOS.

If you purchased this new it would likey be a good idea to return it if you can and obtain a motherboard of the 4xx chipset such that the 9th gen CPU will operate natively.
If there is a mom and pop shop nearby, or you are in touch with other local enthusiasts you can see if they have an 8th gen they can pop in and update BIOS.

Jan 15, 2022
My pc randomly started to power cycle after a motherboard upgrade. HELP Celeron G5400 for updating bios, 4 sticks of 2x8 vengeance rbg, and a gtx 1660 with a 1tb hard drive and 250gb sata drive (boot drive)