PC Power Off, Requires PSU Power Cycle / Rest - No Warnings After Flawless 2 Week Run.

Sep 11, 2018
I have a common boot problem, but with a slight twist that I really hope isn't worse case scenario.

New Build:
GIGABYTE GA‑970A‑UD3P
CPU: AMD FX-9370
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB DDR3 BLT8G3D1608DT1TX0
CPU Cooler: DEEPCOOL Captain 120EX AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, 120mm Radiator
Video Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 770
Storage: 60GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD 2.5in
Storage: 250 GB Western Digital 7200 RPM
Storage: 500 GB Seagate 7200 RPM
PSU: Corsair RM750i

Original Build:
GIGABYTE GA‑970A‑UD3P
CPU: AMD FX-9370
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB DDR3 BLT8G3D1608DT1TX0
CPU Cooler: 120mm Dual Fan Corsair Liquid Cooler
Video Card: HD Radeon 3850
Storage: 60GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD 2.5in
Storage: 250 GB Western Digital 7200 RPM
Storage: 500 GB Seagate 7200 RPM
PSU: EVGA 500W Bronze.

History:

I built this PC over 4 years ago. Now 4 weeks ago I upgraded the PSU and then installed a used graphics card. Then about maybe a week later the CPU cooler died after a good 4.5 years of use. I replaced the CPU Cooler and have been running great for the past 2 weeks apart from the system alarming me about low memory (8GB). Sometimes during a game the PC would shutoff and automatically reboot. I thought the game I was playing must have crashed it, but come to think of it now, it was not a blue screen and the PC just power cycled (auto-reboot)

Problem:
The PC will not turn on in any way, no lights, no fan, nothing unless the PSU is powercycled. From a cool 5 minute rest, the PC will boot to the login screen and allow login but will shutoff about 5 to 10 seconds later. (35 seconds max total uptime) When immediately powered back on with PSU cycle, the PC shuts off again about 5 seconds later, with no warning, no beep codes, nothing. A power cycle of the PSU is required for the PC to boot.

This problem just started today, after running 2 weeks and no system changes during these 2 weeks. The PC died this morning while sitting mostly idle, with 10+ tabs open in chrome.

Other Facts/Thoughts
System is set to warn/beep at 197F, but there are no system beeps.

I can feel the CPU cooler fan running with lights on ( for that 15 seconds of uptime before shutting off)

After the 5 minute rest, I can boot to the bios and see the temp to be at 48-53C. I can stay in BIOS with no issues, (10 minute test)

If I boot to the OS, it will power off within 15 to 30 seconds, and then I cannot even get to the BIOS until it rests for 5 minutes

If I only boot to the BIOS, it will stay running with no issue.

Thoughts?

Solution
You could for the time being clock the FX 9370 down and see if that will help.

Also reseat the cooler for good measure and it's strange that a power cicle of the psu is necessry,like there's a safety measure that kicks in. Is there someones psu that you can lend for some testing? One that can power those parts.
Sep 11, 2018
EDIT: In the process of writing this post I came across a major flaw in my build, however surprisingly the system had been running flawlessly for almost 5 years. It turns out the Gigabyte GA-970 series boards support only up the AMD FX8370 CPU with TDP 125W. I had been running an FX-9370 where TDP is high as 225W. The fact of the matter is, I'm not using a supported MOBO and CPU combo, so because of this I might consider this post answered, however either I will get a new MOBO, or upgrade to Ryzen all together. If I get a new MOBO, I will post back what happens. Hopefully I did not kill the CPU or the MOBO or other parts. If I did then it will be trashed.

Hopefully this post will help others with the same symptoms.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
You could for the time being clock the FX 9370 down and see if that will help.

Also reseat the cooler for good measure and it's strange that a power cicle of the psu is necessry,like there's a safety measure that kicks in. Is there someones psu that you can lend for some testing? One that can power those parts.

Solution