Question PC Powers Off Frequently?

Oct 1, 2022
Hello everyone! I'm new to the forums. Before we get to the issue, here's a very bare-bones summary of my build:

ASUS ROG Strix X-570E
AMD Ryzen 3950x, not over-clocked.
64GB RAM (2x32GB Sticks)
Nvidia RTX 3090
LG 27GN950-B 27-inch 4k Monitor with 1ms Response, 144Hz refresh, Nano IPS, G-Sync
Phanteks 1000w Gold-Rated PSU
Windows 10 Home

So, my custom build PC powers off frequently and reboots itself. I know it's not overheating (using MSI Afterburner to monitor). This is probably my 7th or 8th build in the past 15 years, so I have experience. I've had this build about 18 months or so, maybe a bit longer? Here's the weird details, though:

1. It only reboots itself right after I turn it on...it'll power down and reboot 2-4 times in a row all by itself.
  2. It'll reboot itself after waking up from sleep, again, 2-4 times in a row.
  3. When it reboots, it's not the "Windows is rebooting" cycle or an automatic update, it's almost as if it's losing power, like there's a short. I checked for shorts with a volt meter...nothing.
  4. RARELY, I'll get the "recovery mode" blue screen, asking me if I want to go into safe mode because my machine wasn't shut down properly. I just boot normally with no issues.
  5. Whenever I am actively using software, be it a graphically intensive game, word processor, browsing the internet, etc., it never reboots.
At first I thought it was my power supply dying, and I'm not entirely ruling that out. I also have custom cables, so I'm thinking those might not be reliable? I tried the cables that the PSU came with, same issue. My only other thought is that, for some reason, a voltage setting might be wrong in the BIOS. I don't want to play with that yet, though.

Any ideas? I've never run into this problem before. Usually if I have a bad/failing PSU, the computer would struggle to stay on, especially under a heavy load like RTX gaming.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old is the PSU in your build? With an RTX 3090, you're advised to work with a 1.2KW or higher PSU. As for your build, was it powering another GPU prior to the RTX3090?

Oct 1, 2022
How old is the PSU in your build? With an RTX 3090, you're advised to work with a 1.2KW or higher PSU. As for your build, was it powering another GPU prior to the RTX3090?

PSU was brand new out of the box; it wasn't powering another GPU prior to the 3090...brand new build at the time.
Hmmm....for some reason I figured 1K would be enough. So maybe a higher wattage PSU? Perhaps the initial boot cycle is too much for the PSU to handle? Because under load, I can game at 4K for hours and never have a power issue.

Thank you for the input!