PC powers off while gaming and won't turn back on for a long time

SteadyEddy_

Reputable
Apr 30, 2014
Since last weekend my computer has started powering off while playing certain games. I can browse the internet just fine for however long I want, but playing certain games will shut my pc down. After either crashing of being shutdown by me, the computer will not turn back on until it has been off for a fair amount of time. Choosing the restart option from windows will restart my computer. When I try to start up my pc there is a click and the cpu fan spins once but nothing else happens. When on, all of the fans in my pc seem to be on including the psu fan.

I have run HWMonitor while playing games that crash my pc and all the readouts look fine. My cpu doesn't get over 65C and the highest I have seen my graphics card is 78C. All of the voltages look fine. I have run AIDA64 while looking at this info and all of it looks good and no crashes happen.

Games that power off my pc: PUBG, Ghost Recon Wildlands, Path of Exile, Slime Rancher (While streaming on twitch). All of these games have crashed my pc within 45 minutes of starting them up but I have also been able to play them all for a few hours without crashing.

Games I have played for over 3 hours that haven't caused my pc to shutdown: League of Legends, Overwatch, CS:GO, Runescape, Football Manager.

My PC is about 3.5 years old and I had to RMA the power supply 2.5 years ago and haven't had a problem with it since.

When my pc finally started after crashing the other day, I saw the clock was showing 4 hours earlier. When my pc starts up it tells me there is a cpu fan error. That issue is that my cpu fan is spinning under 600rpm. If I ignore my cpu fan speed and save and restart my pc boots up fine. The cpu fan speed goes over 900rpm when under load.

Things I have tried, reseating my gpu & ram and checking all the cables from my psu, replacing the thermal paste on my cpu, starting my pc without the gpu and with each stick of ram, replacing the CMOS Battery twice (waiting 15 seconds before putting the new battery in).

My Parts are:
Asus z87-c
i5 4670k (not overlocked)
Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo
EVGA GTX 770 2GB
G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB
Cooler Master V-series 750S GOLD 750W 80 Plus Gold
Samsung 840 EVO
Seagate 1TB SSHD
WD 1TB Blue edition

Solution
Sounds typical of a failing psu, not being able to switch back on immediately but having to wait is a typical psu problem. From what I read it is when the capacitors do not discharge immediately, you have to wait for them to completely discharge before the psu will allow itself to be switched on again.

SteadyEddy_

Reputable
Apr 30, 2014

It's a Belkin 8 way surge protector. It has my 2 monitors and sometimes my laptop in it as well.

SteadyEddy_

Reputable
Apr 30, 2014

Yep, I have tried PUBG on the lowest settings and I was only playing Wildlands during the free weekend.

Sounds typical of a failing psu, not being able to switch back on immediately but having to wait is a typical psu problem. From what I read it is when the capacitors do not discharge immediately, you have to wait for them to completely discharge before the psu will allow itself to be switched on again.

Solution