[SOLVED] PC priority in a network

lazarusledd91

Reputable
Jul 18, 2016
Hello everybody!

How can i set the connection priority of various devices connected on my network?

I have more devices connected to 1 network, but only one that is connected through an ethernet cable, and i want to give it priority when downloading something so that when all devices are downloading something, the PC gets the highest download speed. I've been searching on here and Google but couldn't find anything for my particular question.

Thanks!

Solution
If you are running the VPN on the router it is very common for the router cpu to bottleneck. Even very fast router only get 20-30mbs. There are a couple of routers that have a encryption assist feature but if you want very fast vpn nothing compares to a intel or amd processor for a PC.

The feature you want is generally called QoS. Many routers have almost worthless QoS. They have stupid stuff like high medium low and that only affects the upload rates. I have not read the manual for your router so I don't know what it can do. What you want is one that has the ability to set guaranteed rates for both upload and download for certain machines. It will take some experimenting to find values that actually work for you.

USAFRet

Titan
This depends on a lot of circumstances.

What router
What it your overall tested incoming speed from the ISP
What speed do you pay the ISP for
How many devices
How many users
How many wired vs how many WiFi
Is this your router (as in...do you pay the ISP bill)

lazarusledd91

Reputable
Jul 18, 2016
The router is Ubee EVW32C
The speed is claimed as 70Mb/s DL and 10Mb/s UL
4 in total, 2 mobile phones a laptop and PC, all wireless except the PC.

It would seem that the problem was the VPN I was using, i shut it off and the speed went up instantly.
However, it would be nice to know if i could do that for future use.

If you are running the VPN on the router it is very common for the router cpu to bottleneck. Even very fast router only get 20-30mbs. There are a couple of routers that have a encryption assist feature but if you want very fast vpn nothing compares to a intel or amd processor for a PC.

The feature you want is generally called QoS. Many routers have almost worthless QoS. They have stupid stuff like high medium low and that only affects the upload rates. I have not read the manual for your router so I don't know what it can do. What you want is one that has the ability to set guaranteed rates for both upload and download for certain machines. It will take some experimenting to find values that actually work for you.

Reactions: lazarusledd91
Solution