PC random freeze

domi27

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015
Hi all,

I assume we had hundreds of subjects like this, but I am out of ideas after reading each one of them. I need more help and I hope you can give me some directions and bits of advice.

I have upgraded my PC from win 7 to win 10 couple months ago, had no issues so far, but a few months ago my PC started to freeze constantly and randomly, sometimes while gaming, sometimes while watching movies or even when pc is idle. There is no BSOD, no automatic restart, it is just waiting for me to press the button to reset.

So far, I have run SFC scan and image repair online. Did disk defragments, my graphics card driver is up to date, did an even clean reinstall. Usually using Driver Booster to update rest of my stuff. I have contacted even Microsoft support to give me some help, I had an issue with last Win 10 update and they did some stuff to fix my pc, but I still had crashed PC.

Funny thing tho, only thing I can do when my pc freeze is hard reset, pressing a button on my case,

My temperatures seem ok, this is custom made PC, PC case have 4 big fans to keep it cool. I haven't OC CPU neither GPU. My Windows 10 is up to date.

Here are my specs of PC using Speccy software

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
AMD FX-6300 21 °C
Vishera 32nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 577MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. M5A97 R2.0 (Socket 942) 30 °C
Graphics
E2242 (1920x1080@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (MSI) 31 °C
Storage
55GB KINGSTON SV300S37A60G (SSD) 26 °C
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZRX-00L4HB0 (SATA) 26 °C
1863GB Seagate ST2000DM006-2DM164 (SATA) 27 °C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSB0
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am UP for most solutions, but Windows Clean Reinstall. that is last option, as I do have much to lose and to backup is also too much + being a gaming PC, all those saves from games and such, nope. Last option. If I went to PC repair shop, the first thing they would go for is a reinstall of PC, that is NOT a help at all, I could have done it myself in the end.

Thank you for your time

domi27

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015
Corsair CX750 — 80 PLUS® Bronze Certified Power Supply

I have checked ram before few months, but not lately. Might give it ago. haven't checked yet as it takes too long. But will make the schedule for tomorrow morning. My CPU isn't overclocked. It runs on stock speeds

Edit: Did Memory test > The Windows Memory Diagnostic tested the computer's memory and detected no errors

In my experience, a sudden and complete system freeze as you've described indicates some kind of hardware fault. Given that your RAM tested fine and all of your temps appear well within normal range, I'm running out of ideas. Only thing that really sticks out now would be the power supply itself. Definitely enough to power the system you have assembled, but perhaps faulty?

There are power supply testers available that can be had for about $20-30, but the best way to diagnose a faulty supply is to swap it out with a known working unit. The testers are great tools, but they wont catch every kind of problem with computer power supplies. You may also want to try reaching out to Corsair support and see if they can help.

domi27

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015
Ok, so I did some more stuff and in the end, I did reinstall windows 10, fresh install. Two days was working fine and then it froze again. I removed another DDR RAM to check if that would fix it, must be something of hardware issue then, but which issue, no clue

domi27

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015
After a bit of research and everything else. I went to check a motherboard, I switched my GPU from one PCI-E slot to other slot and voila! PC stopped crashing/freezing whatsoever, this helped me, maybe this solution will help someone else.