[SOLVED] PC random freezing problem

Nov 8, 2020
What happens?: PC randomly freezes, the screen freezes for 2-3 seconds, then the monitors turn off and also the lights on the keyboard and mouse turn off and become unresponsive, but the computer still has all fans and lights on. Only way out of it is a hard turn off via the power button, after which it works normally again.
Problem description with details: I bought this computer NEW in July this Year (2020) and as far as I remember the issue is there from the beggining. The freezing happens randomly, mostly once every 3-5 days but sometimes it happens 2 times in 2 days. The problem never happens when I am playing games or doing some high demanding tasks. It happens only on low-demanding tasks, such as web browsing, using my e-mail app, on desktop, on idle or the last couple of times right after a cold boot, sometimes it freezes as soon as it starts transitioning to the desktop, and sometimes after 2-3 minutes. When it happens, after I turn the PC off and on again, it works again normally, usually for a few days, until it happens again. It also never happened when stress testing components such as the CPU or GPU and is impossible to trigger when I want it to happen.

At first it did not bother me much because it was happening so rarelly and I was thinking that it is just a soft software issue which I will find the cause and solution fast, but after trying many things to fix it and it stayed persistent for months, I got worried.
My PC specifications:
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700 8 CPU Cores (16 Threads) @ 3.2GHz up to 4.1GHz (stock without any OC)
GPU: Radeon RX570 xfx 8GB
Motherboard: Asus Prime A320M-K (with latest BIOS update)
RAM: 16GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX Fury 3200MHz (dual channel 2x8GB) (CPU-Z Shows:KHX3200C16D4/8GX – This is written on the RAM HX432C16FB3/8) – using XMP/D.O.C.P. profile 1 for 3200MHz (without it, it runs on 2400MHz)
Storage: 500GB Samsung 860 Evo 2.5"(bought brand new) + 120GB Samsung 840 Evo 2.5" (used in old PC without issue) + 120GB TeamGroup 2,5" (came new with the PC)
PSU: Inter-Tech Argus 620W
Peripherals:
Mouse: HyperX Pulsfire FPS Pro RGB (which I used on old PC without issues)
Keyboard: HyperX Alloy FPS Pro Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (which I used on old PC without issues)
Headphones: Standard, cheap headphones over USB (was using HyperX Cloud II but sold – details bellow)
Printer: HP LaserJet MFP M28-M31 (which I used on old PC without issues)
Monitors: Fujitsu B23T-6 LED – using 3 such monitors all connected via DisplayPort, which I bought used when I got the new PC. Sound output is tranfered via DP to the monitors.
Case: NaviaTec Master which has it's front case USB and Audio connected to the MB. It also has a front case LED RGB „line“ which is connected to the reset button of the case (to change the color and style)
Edition: Windows 10 Pro
Version: 20H2
OS build: 19042.610
Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.31.0
With all updates installed also all drivers installed with latest official versions. I have tried using it also with just the standard drivers which windows installs, but the same issue happens no matter which drivers I use.

Hardware fixes which I tried/Replacements of parts:

GPU: RMA the GPU and they replaced it for another GPU – same model
Motherboard: At first it was MSI A320M which I RMA and they replaced it for a new ASUS Prime A320M-K
RAM: At first it was T-Force 2x8GB of 3200MHz (with XMP enabled), after RMA they replaced it with HyperX Fury 2x8GB 3200MHz (with D.O.C.P. enabled)
Storage: At first it was only 120GB TeamGroup 2,5" (came new with the PC) on which the system was installed and had the issue, after it I bought a new Samsung 860 Evo and reinstalled the system on it, again getting the same issue
PSU: At first it was Inter-Tech Energon 650W after RMA they replaced it with an Inter-Tech Argus 620W

Tried plugging in the PC in another power socket to rule it out and the issue still persisted.

Until now they have replaced all the parts except the case and the CPU. They, and me also, have stress tested the CPU with Prime95 Stress test, furmark stress test, and also memtest which run about 3 and a half hours without any issues or errors.

Software fixes and other things which I tried until yet without any success:

• Reinstalled the system multiple times
  • Reinstalled and tried different drivers
  • Updated the BIOS
  • Tried using high performance in windows power settings
  • Run DISM and sfc/ scannow comands in CMD
  • Turned off Windows automatic driver installs
  • Turned off all power saving options in Windows such as sleep, hibernation ...

BIOS fixes and settings which I tried without any success:
  • Turned off all boot devices except the primary SSD
  • Turned off Global C State
  • Changed Power Supply Idle Control from Auto/Low Current Idle to Typical Current Idle
  • Turned off AMD Precision Boost Overdrive
  • Turned off AMD Core Boost

Additional information:
At the beginning I was using HyperX Cloud 2 headset which has its own USB card. After searching for the cause of the issue I quickly saw in event viewer that there is a „HID-Compliant Headset“ driver CRITICAL error and everytime the problem happened the first boot after was slower and those drivers were reinstalling. I googled and found that many users of this headsets have similar issues and it seems to be some kind of driver conflict between them and the High Definition Audio over the DP/HDMI. I solt the headset and reinstalled the system, but the issue was not solved. Tried reinstalling the system to different SSDs but got the same issue. Tried various drivers and still the same. Windows is updated and tried with older and newer driver versions.

Now, that I do not use anymore the HyperX headphones there is no specific error in the event viewer. There are the standard warnings, and sometimes, very rarely some error and on the time it happens I just see errors because I did not shut off the computer properly.

I also saw that there was a fast startup error after the issue happens, so I turned of fast startup in windows yesterday, waiting to see if it may be solve the problem? Additionaly I found a post on a forum with a person with the same issue like I have and he says that after using a program called driver booster and updating the drivers with it, the issue never came back. I downloaded and run the program and it found some updates for drivers which were shown installed as 2005-2008, and it updated them to some recent versions. The drivers which it updated were network, printer, USB Mass storage device, HID Keyboard, i 2 times Standard SATA AHCI Controller.

Solution
Just want to point out that after turning xmp/docp off the PC does not freeze anymore. I tried testing it with the 3000MHz profile 2, but also turned on PBO and Global C-States and it froze right at the boot after changing settings.

Now I turned off global c-states again and pbo, using profile 2 for xmp/docp but set it manually to 2933Mhz and my PC seems to be working perfectly.

So the issue seems to be fixed and was caused by either or both, the RAM being set over 2933MHz + global c-states and PBO.
Nov 8, 2020
Just want to point out that after turning xmp/docp off the PC does not freeze anymore. I tried testing it with the 3000MHz profile 2, but also turned on PBO and Global C-States and it froze right at the boot after changing settings.

Now I turned off global c-states again and pbo, using profile 2 for xmp/docp but set it manually to 2933Mhz and my PC seems to be working perfectly.

So the issue seems to be fixed and was caused by either or both, the RAM being set over 2933MHz + global c-states and PBO.

Solution