[SOLVED] Pc random reboot under load

Sep 21, 2019
Hi, I'm desperate for some help/ advice since the pc repair shops where I live can't seem to help me out.

I've been having issues with my pc booting under load. Specs: Intel® Core™ i7-6700K 4,0GHz, Cooler Master Hyper 103, MSI Z170A PC MATE, Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR4-2400, Nvidia GTX 970 4GB, 240GB SSD Crucial BX200, 2000GB HDD Sata III, 750 Watt Cooler Master G750M

I upgraded my pc with a gigabyte rtx 2080 gaming OC. However the pc would sometimes be sluggish on boot. When it ran, it ran perfectly. But sometimes it would freeze when windows 10 would load(while starting up programs like discord).

I tried reinstalling drivers, full clean W10 install, updated the bios. After a while the pc started rebooting under load, and it got gradually worse.(I still had the freeze on loading windows aswell, reinstall etc didn't fix that)

I would not get a BSOD despite enabling it in windows 10 which led me to believe it was a hardware issue. Temperature on all the parts were fine, it wasn't overheating. I didn't have spare parts lying around so brought it to a repair shop to diagnose the problem.

They reseated everything, put in my old gtx 970 and everything was working, the sluggish problem was gone. They couldn't test the 2080 in another system because they didn't have a system in the shop that could handle it. They chalked it up to the rtx 2080 being bad (corrupt memory) but they didn't test the card in any way.

Since I got it back the freeze on loading in windows was gone, however it would occasionally reboot, still without a BSOD. It happened maybe once a week while gaming. Over the last 2 weeks the rebooting became more frequent again(with the gtx 970) I hadn't gotten around to rma the 2080 yet because I was still waiting for gigabyte customer service.

So I started to think it may not be the graphics card. Same reboot issues but more frequent with a more powerful card so I started thinking it might be the psu.

So I dropped it off at another store, explained the problem gave them the 2080 aswell and hoped they could test it. He just reconnected all the power connecters, ran windows update and let it run for a day. It didn't reboot so he said the pc is fine and thought the issue was because of a failed windows update. He didn't even test the 2080. I asked about the possibility of the psu being bad but according to him 750 watt was more then enough and since I wasn't even using all the power connections that couldn't be it(this logic of determining a bad psu makes me question his knowledge about the subject)

TLDR; PC reboots under load. Reboots more often with a rtx 2080 then with a gtx 970. Sometimes runs stable for days, then reboots several times in one day. W10 had a clean install, tried several Nvidea drivers, updated all hardware drivers, updated BIOS.

Not overheating

No BSOD. Nothing except kernel power 41 in event logs.

Hope someone has some ideas on what I can do. Refund the 2080 or buy a new psu or whatever else.

Ps: sorry if the formatting is off, had to type this on my phone.

Solution
I asked about the possibility of the psu being bad but according to him 750 watt was more then enough and since I wasn't even using all the power connections that couldn't be it(this logic of determining a bad psu makes me question his knowledge about the subject)
I'm glad you saw the madness in that logic!

How long have you had the GM? Most Cooler Master PSUs aren't great quality. And the GM is one of those that isn't great. Even more so if you have had it for a while. Yes 750W is "enough" but "enough" doesn't mean "working" effectively.

Being as you have tested the GPU elsewhere, and going back to the old GPU gets rid of the issue, the 2080 uses much more power than your 970 in most cases. I would be swapping the PSU with a...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I asked about the possibility of the psu being bad but according to him 750 watt was more then enough and since I wasn't even using all the power connections that couldn't be it(this logic of determining a bad psu makes me question his knowledge about the subject)

How long have you had the GM? Most Cooler Master PSUs aren't great quality. And the GM is one of those that isn't great. Even more so if you have had it for a while. Yes 750W is "enough" but "enough" doesn't mean "working" effectively.

Being as you have tested the GPU elsewhere, and going back to the old GPU gets rid of the issue, the 2080 uses much more power than your 970 in most cases. I would be swapping the PSU with a good quality 650W unit and retesting.

What CPU and GPU temperatures were you reaching?

Solution
Sep 21, 2019

Being as you have tested the GPU elsewhere, and going back to the old GPU gets rid of the issue, the 2080 uses much more power than your 970 in most cases. I would be swapping the PSU with a good quality 650W unit and retesting.

What CPU and GPU temperatures were you reaching?

CPU temps at reboot times was between 50 and 60C, graphics card a bit higher, the 2080 ran up to ~70 the 970 up to ~80 Celsius and the time of a reboot.

The cooler Master is from 2016 so about 3.5 years now. I ordered a corsair rm750x 80+ gold. I read that that's a fairly good one.

I hope that fixes the problem and if it doesn't I'll at least have a backup for when it's time to upgrade my wife's pc I suppose

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I read that that's a fairly good one.
Fairly?! It's excellent my friend :) !

10 year warranty too.

I would highly suspect is the cause of your problem based on what you have described, but even if it isn't you haven't lost out as you have replaced a mediocre/poorer unit with an excellent one that guarantees you for 10 years.

Additionally a good quality 650W runs most 2080Ti systems. If the new PSU does fix the issue the GM usually has a 5 year warranty so you should be able to get a warranty replacement/refund - then if its replacement, sell it :)

Reactions: brokeBuilder2019
Sep 21, 2019
Dudu, i havd exact same issue like you, check my question here, do you have any update on it? i am also curious on my PSU now, but mine is a 1000w, which should be quit good. I AM GOING CRAZY now, this is so frustrating.
https://answers.microsoft.com/zh-ha...-42d3-43d6-a57d-195eec828355?tm=1571798296087

Hey, the reboots were fixed by switching out the PSU. The windows freezing thing still happened with the rtx 2080 though.

I refunded it and the pc was totally fine with my old gtx 970.

Then I tried again, this time I bought a rtx 2070 super from msi instead and upgraded my ssd to a m.2 970 EVO. As soon as I installed nvidea drivers the freezing returned. No reboots though so that was definitely the PSU.

Windows showed AESMservice errors or something like that. I enabled SGX in the bios. That was last weeekend, so far everything seems to run fine and stable