Question PC Random Shut-Off, Tried Near Everything.

lthampton

Notable
Jan 8, 2019
This will be a long one. Recently, about a few month ago, my friend's PC started shutting down. This happened about a week after he got a new 2K monitor.

-ISSUE- Computer randomly black-screens, however fans and LEDS still run properly. The problem is not consistent, some times it will run for days with no issue and normal gaming amounts,

-TESTS/ STEPS TAKEN-
  1. New PSU
  2. New GC
  3. Swapped with different ram
  4. New MOBO
  5. Reinstalled windows MULTIPLE times.
  6. New fans
  7. All Temps checked- no issues
  8. Reinstalled windows and ran on only one drive at a time, tried with NVME, SSD and HDD, issue still persists even if all drives except boot are totally disconnected.
  9. Ran various benchmarking software, such as Prime 95, and no crashes, however, sometimes on GPU benchmarks, like 3dmark, it happens, but again, not consistent.
  10. Ran various drive tests, like DSCMGT, and all drives are showing no bad sectors or errors.
- SPECS-
Intel 9700k
Asus Z390 / Asrock Phantom Gaming 4
MSI 2070
ADATA XPG 2x 8GB
ThermalTake 850w
Western Digital SSD 1TB
WD NVME 1TB
Sea Gate HDD 72k

I'm at a total loss. The only things that haven't been totally replaced has been the CPU, and the drives, although we isolated and tested each drive with a fresh install of windows, and it happened across all 3 drives. However, when we ran CPU stress tests, it didn't cause the issue. It seems to be totally random, and not related to whether the system is under load or not. So if anyone could help me diagnose the issue, that would be great. Thank you.

lthampton

Notable
Jan 8, 2019
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with the times of the shut-offs.

Boot into Safe Mode. Do the shut-offs continue to occur?
I knew i would forget a few things, but we've already ran the event viewer, there are no warnings or events during that time.. and yes the problem persists even in safe mode. One update last night, is, when his computer goes to the black screen, he can sometimes press his power button, and it will cause it go right back where it was, so its almost like the computer is going into a sleep mode, but, we disabled any and all sleep modes in windows, and the problem still occurs.

Ralston18

Titan
Another troubleshooting path - just as a matter of elimination....

Swap in known working video cables - determine if the problem continues to re-occur.

If supported, try iGPU.

Try another known working monitor.

Try the current monitor on another known working computer.

Determine if the black-screening\random shutdowns follow the monitor or stay with the computer.

lthampton

Notable
Jan 8, 2019
Another troubleshooting path - just as a matter of elimination....

Swap in known working video cables - determine if the problem continues to re-occur.

If supported, try iGPU.

Try another known working monitor.

Try the current monitor on another known working computer.

Determine if the black-screening\random shutdowns follow the monitor or stay with the computer.
Tried all of these, issue persisted. I think it might not actually be a hardware issue, considering all of the hardware except for the CPU and drives have been swapped and the issue persisting. Thank you much for your assistance

Sep 27, 2020
I had very similar problem and what helped was power and sleep >Additional power settings> Chosse what power buttons do. And then turn off "turn on fast startup". i don't know why it helped I guess because i live i smaller village and power is not always consistent it would screw with pc because it was not fully turned off.