[SOLVED] PC Randomly Disconnecting

Sep 18, 2021
Over the last few weeks my PC has been randomly disconnecting from Wifi. I'll be playing games whilst talking in Discord and then I will notice my Discord ping will shoot to 5000ms and I will disconnect from whatever I am playing. After a minute or so, it goes back to normal. Most of the time while this happens, I can strangely still hear my friends talking, and can even send messages in Discord, they just can't hear me. This also happens when I'm not using Discord and just trying to play online games/watch videos. Wifi seems to be working fine on all other devices in the house, including my phone and laptop that are right near my PC.

Things I've tried so far:
  • Worked through all of the Windows Network Troubleshooting found here
  • Have used 3 different WIFI dongles/cards: TP-Link Archer 6E, TP-Link Archer 3u (I think), and a random 3rd dongle I had
  • I have a Wifi booster nearby that I have tried running an ethernet cable to, but still get the same issues.
  • Contacted my ISP, they've sent 3 techs out so far who have replaced various connections, checked lines/equipment and they haven't found anything.
  • Replaced my ISP provided Modem and Router
  • Am currently on the 2.4g band as I am a decent distance from my router with a few walls between me and it.
  • I've turned off the setting to let windows turn off the wifi adapters to save power
  • I've updated/reinstalled all of the wifi adapter drivers as well as updated my Mobo drivers
We are paying for ~250mbps down, but my PC only gets ~30mbps when on a wifi adapter, and ~50mbps when on ethernet to the booster. I know it will never be the advertised speed when I am not near the router and on WIFI, but my Laptop gets ~200mbps or so on a good day whilst near my PC.

Running an ethernet line to the modem is not a realistic solution due to my location compared to where the Modem and Router are, so I am stuck with wireless for the foreseeable future.

Another thing to keep in mind, everything Wifi wise was working perfectly for around a year or so until I recently moved and then started having these issues.

Here are my PC specs:
Mobo: B450 Tomahawk Max
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: RTX 2060 Super
PSU: EVGA 600W

My current ISP is spectrum, I was using their provided/rentable modem and router, but 2 weeks ago I switched to:

Netgear CM500 Modem
Asus AX 5400 Router

Current Windows version is:

Windows 10 version 19043

If anyone has any ideas as to what may be going on, they would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
Over the last few weeks my PC has been randomly disconnecting from Wifi. I'll be playing games whilst talking in Discord and then I will notice my Discord ping will shoot to 5000ms and I will disconnect from whatever I am playing. After a minute or so, it goes back to normal. Most of the time while this happens, I can strangely still hear my friends talking, and can even send messages in Discord, they just can't hear me. This also happens when I'm not using Discord and just trying to play online games/watch videos. Wifi seems to be working fine on all other devices in the house, including my phone and laptop that are right near my PC.

• Worked through all of the Windows Network Troubleshooting found...

• Worked through all of the Windows Network Troubleshooting found here
  • Have used 3 different WIFI dongles/cards: TP-Link Archer 6E, TP-Link Archer 3u (I think), and a random 3rd dongle I had
  • I have a Wifi booster nearby that I have tried running an ethernet cable to, but still get the same issues.
  • Contacted my ISP, they've sent 3 techs out so far who have replaced various connections, checked lines/equipment and they haven't found anything.
  • Replaced my ISP provided Modem and Router
  • Am currently on the 2.4g band as I am a decent distance from my router with a few walls between me and it.
  • I've turned off the setting to let windows turn off the wifi adapters to save power
  • I've updated/reinstalled all of the wifi adapter drivers as well as updated my Mobo drivers
We are paying for ~250mbps down, but my PC only gets ~30mbps when on a wifi adapter, and ~50mbps when on ethernet to the booster. I know it will never be the advertised speed when I am not near the router and on WIFI, but my Laptop gets ~200mbps or so on a good day whilst near my PC.

Running an ethernet line to the modem is not a realistic solution due to my location compared to where the Modem and Router are, so I am stuck with wireless for the foreseeable future.

Another thing to keep in mind, everything Wifi wise was working perfectly for around a year or so until I recently moved and then started having these issues.

Here are my PC specs:
Mobo: B450 Tomahawk Max
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: RTX 2060 Super
PSU: EVGA 600W

My current ISP is spectrum, I was using their provided/rentable modem and router, but 2 weeks ago I switched to:

Netgear CM500 Modem
Asus AX 5400 Router

Current Windows version is:

Windows 10 version 19043

If anyone has any ideas as to what may be going on, they would be greatly appreciated!
Try these step by step:
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 12 on yours) like this:
    unknown.png
  • Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios(download, extract the files and copy it to flashdrive, plug it on top rear usb slot then reboot to bios and flash the bios). Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings.

• boot up to windows and install the latest AMD Chipset driver, reboot and connect to internet.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing amd chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did in the bios), make sure your ram is on slot 2 and 4. Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1.

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any.

Solution
Sep 18, 2021
Try these step by step:
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 12 on yours) like this:
    unknown.png
  • Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios(download, extract the files and copy it to flashdrive, plug it on top rear usb slot then reboot to bios and flash the bios). Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings.

• boot up to windows and install the latest AMD Chipset driver, reboot and connect to internet.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing amd chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did in the bios), make sure your ram is on slot 2 and 4. Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1.

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any.
When I extract the bios update, do I just need to put the folder onto the USB or do I put the 3B0 file on there? Or does it matter?