Question PC Randomly Freezes, while playing games. Once a week/Six times a day.

Dec 21, 2018
Overview: Upgrade almost the entire computer. Leaving game run almost 24-7. Never crash if I don't touch keyboard and mouse. But when I actually play the game, computer randomly freezes up.
  • Windows 10 Pro
  • i9-9900k @ OC to 5.0Ghz all cores
  • Gigabyte Geforce Gaming OC 8G 2080, overclocked some with MSI Afterburner
  • 2 x 8 GB 3200Mhz RAM
  • 850W PSU
  • SSD#1 (old) - Operating System
  • SSD#2 (new) - Games

I've recently upgrade the entire system besides main SSD drive (for operating system) and HDD for overall storage. Did not clean install Windows 10, but had to "reinstall Windows 10" over again due to some issues with it not wanting to upgrade.

Symptoms:
  • Computer would freeze while playing games
  • No BSoD
  • Everything on both of my monitors would freeze as is
  • BGM sound of the game continues (but anything like SFX, Discord voice, etc no longer works)
  • Computer runs with game almost 24-7 with GPU utilization at 100% at all time. Would not freeze while afk. But if I play game (at keyboard, move mouse), the entire computer would crash
  • Crash varies from once every week, to 5-7 times a day

Observations:
  • According to HWInfo, CPU temp goes up to ~78 degree, but average around low 70s
  • GPU doesn't go above 68 degree
  • While afk, GPU still runs at 90 - 100%. CPU stays around 20 - 25% utilization

Steps Taken
  • Used DDU to reinstall graphic driver
  • Swapped out GPU to old one
  • Also used DDU to remove all the older audio devices that I no longer use
  • Updated Windows 10 to the latest version
  • Updated to latest BIOS version
  • Un-overclock the GPU entirely to factory default
  • Moved the game to another SSD and leave the gaming SSD inactive
  • Drop CPU clock to 4.9Ghz (all core)
  • Ran Prime95 to stress test CPU for ~20 minutes at both 4.9Ghz and 5.0Ghz
  • Ran memtest86, 4 passes. 2 Errors and one bad read

At this point, I am at loss. The very last resort I want to do is to reformat the entire OS SSD. But I'm also at loss on what might be wrong with the computer. Especially I do not understand why I can go afk with game running for half a day with GPU running at max without any issues, but the freezing potential is 100% whenever I'm in the middle of gameplay using my mouse/keyboard.
Thank you for your time!

Lutfij

Titan
Stating the wattage of your PSU will not cut it here on the forums. We need to know the make and model of the PSU and it's age. Given you've been dealing with this issue with a prior setup, might also want to list your specs for the older platform. What cooler are/were you on?

One more thing, you didn't reinstall the OS on the SSD after you'd migrated to the new platform? Which slots are you populating on the board for rams?

Dec 21, 2018
Stating the wattage of your PSU will not cut it here on the forums. We need to know the make and model of the PSU and it's age. Given you've been dealing with this issue with a prior setup, might also want to list your specs for the older platform. What cooler are/were you on?

One more thing, you didn't reinstall the OS on the SSD after you'd migrated to the new platform? Which slots are you populating on the board for rams?

Thank you for your reply! It's Seasonic PRIME 850 Platinum SSR-850PD, which is brand new (since Dec 2018).

I did not have any issue with prior setup. The problem started after I got my new almost-everything in (mobo, PSU, CPU, RAM). As for previous PSU, I believe it was Corsair Gold 650W.

OS is being kept on the same SSD I had been using (I only did non-clean reinstall of Windows 10).

RAMs are two sticks of 8GB = 16GB, in the recommended slots according the the motherboard manual (I believe 2nd and 4th slot, counting from CPU outward). I should mention that my motherboard is ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) Z390 Gaming.