PC randomly powering off?

jordan1997

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013
So my pc has been randomly powering itself off and restarting, it has been doing this for around two weeks now it started when I put a new GPU in although before that i hadn't used my pc for a month and the problem persisted once I swapped GPU back out.

The crashing can happen at totally random times, sometimes 5 crashes within 5 minutes, sometimes it can run for 14 hours without a single crash, the crashes seem to be completely random irrespective of cpu, gpu or power usage, I have a 650w power supply which is only a few months old.

I have been googling this issue continously and the things i've tried include, swapping out the GPU, testing a different set of ram, disconnecting the pc reset switch(as when it happens it does exactly what pressing it would do). I have updated the BIOS on my motherboard, reinstalled windows and made sure all drivers are up to date as well as setting the settings to force BSOD which did nothing as it seeems to be immediate power failure.

My pc also does things like the graphic driver seems to crash and the monitors go blank but the pc did not power off(audio kept playing), and on reboot it took around a minute to get passed the boot screen at which after booting the keyboard and mouse wouldn't power up for an additional 10-15 seconds.

I've ruled out the GPU, as it's brand new and swapping out did not fix, i've also ruled out the ram. I see a lot pointing towards the PSU although it is newish, i don't have one to test it with, and the pc is doing other irregular things not controlled by the psu.

I guess my question is what else could be causing the problem, what haven't i thought of and could it be a possibility, or likely chance that my motherboard is the cause of the problem.

As a side node i have also not tested another CPU, although all the temperatures of components are perfectly within margins with a max cpu temp of around 60 and gpu temp of around 62-68(62 is highest i have observed since i've added an extra fan which the problem i have explained pre-dates).

Thanks in advance.

jordan1997

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013
Yes i have flashed the BIOS.

As an update the pc was doing the same powering off while inside BIOS settings so the problem is definitely hardware related and nothing to do with windows or drivers, I believe it's either the power supply or the motherboard just not sure which.

jordan1997

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013
As an additional note, the pc was running fine for around 10 hours, then crashed upwards of 5 times in a span of under 5 minutes while in BIOS setting.

Another thing to note is that my house has kind of shoddy electrical wiring etc (lights flicker and sometimes safety switch flips, half the power points stopped working a month ago because of same kind of issue), wondering if this could be the problem but also a note that no other electrical appliance is being affected by it including my roommates pc.

Seaweed Monster

Honorable
Jun 7, 2014
When you say crash do you mean crash as in, locked up and nothing on the screen moves or the power to the whole system shuts off?

As at the start you mention crashes and mid way through you also mention power failure.

Thanks!

jordan1997

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013
So I had both problems at one stage although the main is like instant power failure, I have just had a thought though after spending so much time trying to figure out the problem, I remembered i went on a 2 month holiday and when i came back half the power points in my house didn't work as something triggered the safety switch, maybe it's possible whatever tripped that damaged the PSU(even though pc would have been powered down).

either that or the motherboard being faulty are my only ideas.

TRENDING THREADS