Question PC randomly reboots, could be PSU issue?

Aug 15, 2019
Hi, first time posting here, sorry if this is the wrong section of the forum

I built a new rig a few weeks ago with some old parts and some new parts, it has been running with absolutely no issue for around 2 weeks, then it starts to randomly reboot.

When it reboots, it does not go into BSOD, the screen just turns black for a split second and then the pc restarts.

This reboot is absolutely random, it can happen when i am in BIOS, it can happen when i just booted into windows, it can happen when i am gaming, watching a video, or the PC sitting there doing nothing, it can happen a few minutes after i start up the PC, or it can happen a few hours later, absolutely random

Event log shows Kernel-Power error, code 41, bugcheckcode 0, which indicates is a hardware issue

Here are the things I've tried to isolate the problem, which leads me to think the problem is to do with PSU
  • Initially the PSU was upside down with no issue (fan sucking from inside case), and i switched that around to suck air from the floor.
  • Tried both hybrid and non hybrid mode on the PSU
  • Instead of plugging the PSU into an extension lead, i've moved it onto a wall socket now
  • Unplugged all the wires on the PSU and mobo and plugged back in
  • Reset CMOS and optimised default on BIOS
  • Isolated the RAM by removing them one by one, and switching them to a spare set of ram i had sitting around
  • Also changed the RAM slot on the RAM
  • Removed the GPU to use onboard graphics
  • Removed two fans on the case as it was sitting quite close to a cable going into the mother board
  • Turned off all OC via BIOS, CPU and RAM.
  • Disabled Anti Surging in BIOS
  • Reduce CPU core from 4 core to 2core instead
  • Monitor Computer temperature, GPU peaks at 47, CPU peaks at 52, overheating don't seem to be an issue at all
  • Memtest64 and Windows memory diagnostic showed no error
  • Checked all the cap on the motherboard, non of them seems "popped" or loose
To be honest,i have no idea why its happening, aside from something to do with the PSU. I have no idea how to manually set voltage to see forcing a constant voltage on the components would help
The computer seems to reboot less often after i turned hybrid off and the PSU with fan facing down, if that's of any coincidence

Here is the build
  • Crosair 275R mid-tower case
  • ASUS p8Z68V PRO motherboard*
  • Intel Core it-2500k Quad 3.300Ghz 6MB CPU*
  • Coolmaster Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler
  • 2x Trident X 8GB 1600Mhz RAM*
  • MSI Geforce 970 GTX GPU*
  • Crucial MX300 CT525MX300SSD1 SSD
  • Seasonic 750W Focus Plus Gold PSU
  • Windows 10 Pro May 2019 build
* These are old components but the previous PC had run for years without issue

Unfortunately i don't have another PSU to test out if the current PSU I have is somehow faulty.

At this point, any suggesting would be very helpful. Hope i have not left out any crucial details
Maybe i need to manually set voltage for CPU instead of using offset mode?

Thank you

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2019
Hi, first time posting here, sorry if this is the wrong section of the forum

I built a new rig a few weeks ago with some old parts and some new parts, it has been running with absolutely no issue for around 2 weeks, then it starts to randomly reboot.

When it reboots, it does not go into BSOD, the screen just turns black for a split second and then the pc restarts.

This reboot is absolutely random, it can happen when i am in BIOS, it can happen when i just booted into windows, it can happen when i am gaming, watching a video, or the PC sitting there doing nothing, it can happen a few minutes after i start up the PC, or it can happen a few hours later, absolutely random

Event log shows Kernel-Power error, code 41, bugcheckcode 0, which indicates is a hardware issue

Here are the things I've tried to isolate the problem, which leads me to think the problem is to do with PSU
  • Initially the PSU was upside down with no issue (fan sucking from inside case), and i switched that around to suck air from the floor.
  • Tried both hybrid and non hybrid mode on the PSU
  • Instead of plugging the PSU into an extension lead, i've moved it onto a wall socket now
  • Unplugged all the wires on the PSU and mobo and plugged back in
  • Reset CMOS and optimised default on BIOS
  • Isolated the RAM by removing them one by one, and switching them to a spare set of ram i had sitting around
  • Also changed the RAM slot on the RAM
  • Removed the GPU to use onboard graphics
  • Removed two fans on the case as it was sitting quite close to a cable going into the mother board
  • Turned off all OC via BIOS, CPU and RAM.
  • Disabled Anti Surging in BIOS
  • Reduce CPU core from 4 core to 2core instead
  • Monitor Computer temperature, GPU peaks at 47, CPU peaks at 52, overheating don't seem to be an issue at all
  • Memtest64 and Windows memory diagnostic showed no error
  • Checked all the cap on the motherboard, non of them seems "popped" or loose
To be honest,i have no idea why its happening, aside from something to do with the PSU. I have no idea how to manually set voltage to see forcing a constant voltage on the components would help
The computer seems to reboot less often after i turned hybrid off and the PSU with fan facing down, if that's of any coincidence

Here is the build
  • Crosair 275R mid-tower case
  • ASUS p8Z68V PRO motherboard*
  • Intel Core it-2500k Quad 3.300Ghz 6MB CPU*
  • Coolmaster Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler
  • Trident X 8GB 2400Mhz RAM*
  • MSI Geforce 970 GTX GPU*
  • Crucial MX300 CT525MX300SSD1 SSD
  • Seasonic 750W Focus Plus Gold PSU
  • Windows 10 Pro May 2019 build
* These are old components but the previous PC had run for years without issue

Unfortunately i don't have another PSU to test out if the current PSU I have is somehow faulty.

At this point, any suggesting would be very helpful. Hope i have not left out any crucial details
Maybe i need to manually set voltage for CPU instead of using offset mode?

Thank you
Hi diulalasing, it appears to be an issue with the most recent installation of windows 10, i myself am having the same issue and am working on trouble shooting it atm, you may be able to find some solutions by google searching "computer randomly restarts windows 10" and sorting by past week.. personally I've tried the following:

"Right click on the start button and select Powershell (admin) or Command Prompt (admin)

Write the next hit enter after each line.

net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver

Restart and try again. "

and

"Run these cmds:
SFC /SCANNOW

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth"

i'm currently waiting it out to see if it fixed the issue, if not i'm afraid it'll have to be a in place repair, hopefully the issue will be fixed in the next update or one of the solutions helped you, hope this helped..

Aug 15, 2019
Hi diulalasing, it appears to be an issue with the most recent installation of windows 10, i myself am having the same issue and am working on trouble shooting it atm, you may be able to find some solutions by google searching "computer randomly restarts windows 10" and sorting by past week.. personally I've tried the following:

"Right click on the start button and select Powershell (admin) or Command Prompt (admin)

Write the next hit enter after each line.

net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver

Restart and try again. "

and

"Run these cmds:
SFC /SCANNOW

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth"

i'm currently waiting it out to see if it fixed the issue, if not i'm afraid it'll have to be a in place repair, hopefully the issue will be fixed in the next update or one of the solutions helped you, hope this helped..

I should have mentioned i used gpedit.msc to disable windows update, but then i don't think myissue has anything to do with window10, because the restart had been happening even at bios level

Thanks for the help though, appreciate it

Aug 15, 2019
What has changed from when all was well?
Can you perhaps use system restore to roll back two weeks when all was well?

Your psu is excellent.
Is your wall plug grounded?

Is there a motherboard bios update that might address your issue.

Yes, Wall plug is grounded

Just updated BIOS and still happening

The other thing i notice is, the restart seems to happen a lot more frequent within the same 20min or so window. So i can get a restart now once in a few hours, then within the next 20min about 3 or 4 restart

Feels like the system need to stabilise?

l6MBBDI.png

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2019
Double check that all power cables are securely inserted into the ports on the psu itself and into their motherboard/gpu ports.
A loose cable could cause your symptoms.

Thanks, i check those twice now, and they are secured, i also played with the cable arrangement a bit (plugging into another pcie slot) on the psu and still no luck.

Ive ordered a crosair tx750m which should arrive today

Aug 15, 2019
I gave up, after stripping the PC to its bare minimum (MB, CPU, CPU cooler, 1x RAM, PSU), it still restarts multiple times sitting in Bios

Then i put everything together and its been fine for 12 hours... before it restarts again...

Ordered a new MB, CPU and RAM