[SOLVED] PC randomly reboots with no apparent trigger.

suedemonkey

Reputable
May 2, 2016
Hi all, I've been having this problem for some time now, the PC would randomly reboot without reason. My guess is that my UPS (FSP FP1000) is not compatible with my PSU (Seasonic X-series).

Here are some causes that I was able to identify:

1. If the UPS is plugged to an outlet with another appliance like a TV, the PC reboots when the TV is unplugged.

2. I also tried unplugging the UPS while the PC is on, all seems to work fine, but when I plug the UPS back, the PC reboots.

I have checked all hardware and updated all drivers but the issue still persist. Anyone have any idea how to fix the problem?

Many thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
Thanks for the reply man, really appreciate it. I have not overclocked any components, I am just a very casual gamer, I play LoL, GTA V, Withcer 3, Titanfall 2, and other games very casually, maybe about 2 hours per week. I mostly use the PC for Graphic Design, some video editing, and illustration. So here are the steps I have taken:

1. Windows 10 is already in balanced plan.
  2. Checked the BIOS and this is what I have:
0Z3VC2o

Below are some information that I'm not sure if it would help or has an effect on the issue at hand, I just want to put it here just in case it is needed:

1. I turned off the Anti-Surge detection of the Motherboard to see if this would help.
  2. I...
Hi all, I've been having this problem for some time now, the PC would randomly reboot without reason. My guess is that my UPS (FPS FP1000) is not compatible with my PSU (Seasonic X-series).

1. If the UPS is plugged to an outlet with another appliance like a TV, the PC reboots when the TV is unplugged.

2. I also tried unplugging the UPS while the PC is on, all seems to work fine, but when I plug the UPS back, the PC reboots.

I have checked all hardware and updated all drivers but the issue still persist. Anyone have any idea how to fix the problem?

Many thanks!
I'm not sure how to fix it....but I think the problem is most likely in the UPS itself.
Do a test. Plug the PC directly into the outlet also plug the TV into that outlet and then unplug the TV....if the PC stays running...I think there might be an issue with the UPS.

Reactions: Turtle Rig

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
I would always plug that stuff without anything else plugged in on that outlet. You can plug the TV into another outlook or into your power surge and what not and that would fix the problem. Also Seasonic is not the best out there not even close however it is a good enough PSU where we know for fact that is not the issue. So just plug the UPS in wall without anything else and the TV into the power surge and you should be fine. Or plug the TV into another wall outlet and waht not. Good Luck 💯🙏🏽🙉

Hi all, I've been having this problem for some time now, the PC would randomly reboot without reason. My guess is that my UPS (FPS FP1000) is not compatible with my PSU (Seasonic X-series).

Many thanks!

Are your electrical outlets properly grounded?

What kind of UPS is it? (make/model)

suedemonkey

Reputable
May 2, 2016
I'm not sure how to fix it....but I think the problem is most likely in the UPS itself.
Do a test. Plug the PC directly into the outlet also plug the TV into that outlet and then unplug the TV....if the PC stays running...I think there might be an issue with the UPS.

Thanks for the reply, I've done what you suggested, it stayed running, but even if there are no other appliance plugged in, it still reboots randomly. But I agree, I think the issue is with the UPS.

suedemonkey

Reputable
May 2, 2016
I would always plug that stuff without anything else plugged in on that outlet. You can plug the TV into another outlook or into your power surge and what not and that would fix the problem. Also Seasonic is not the best out there not even close however it is a good enough PSU where we know for fact that is not the issue. So just plug the UPS in wall without anything else and the TV into the power surge and you should be fine. Or plug the TV into another wall outlet and waht not. Good Luck 💯🙏🏽🙉

Thanks for the reply, I have actually done that for a couple of weeks, but it still reboots randomly. I want to ask, if this keeps up, will be permanent damage to the PSU or the rest of the components?

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Thanks for the reply, I have actually done that for a couple of weeks, but it still reboots randomly. I want to ask, if this keeps up, will be permanent damage to the PSU or the rest of the components?
Ok all is well on the connection end that is not the problem. Your rig has a slight issue if it is rebooting. Can I ask if you have overclocked the CPU or GPU or RAM ? If either of these go to BIOS and select restore defaults or optimized defaults and then in WIndows 10 go to power options and select balanced plan and hit restore to defaults and apply it. Then let me know if your getting the random reboots then we can trouble shoot further. These reboots are not the GPU or the motherboard or PSU. It is either the RAM or a overclock you have done. It is obviously not stable and to make sure it is not the PSU go get the readings from the BIOS health section. Make sure the 12v is giving 12v or so and 5v 5volts and 3v 3 volts. Numbers vary according to the users rig and PSU and motherboard model. If your getting proper voltages after checking in the BIOS like I said then the PSU is not at fault. Usually the PSU at fault would do more damage to your situation like a freeze or a blank screen or motherboard shutting off. I need to make sure your RAM is configured properly as well as your CPU. If you can go to BIOS and restore to defaults or optimized defaults like I said earlier then we can take it from there and after doing the power plan like I said in WIndows then we can see what happens and if your box reboots on it's own and what not. 🙏🏽💯

suedemonkey

Reputable
May 2, 2016
Ok all is well on the connection end that is not the problem. Your rig has a slight issue if it is rebooting. Can I ask if you have overclocked the CPU or GPU or RAM ? If either of these go to BIOS and select restore defaults or optimized defaults and then in WIndows 10 go to power options and select balanced plan and hit restore to defaults and apply it. Then let me know if your getting the random reboots then we can trouble shoot further. These reboots are not the GPU or the motherboard or PSU. It is either the RAM or a overclock you have done. It is obviously not stable and to make sure it is not the PSU go get the readings from the BIOS health section. Make sure the 12v is giving 12v or so and 5v 5volts and 3v 3 volts. Numbers vary according to the users rig and PSU and motherboard model. If your getting proper voltages after checking in the BIOS like I said then the PSU is not at fault. Usually the PSU at fault would do more damage to your situation like a freeze or a blank screen or motherboard shutting off. I need to make sure your RAM is configured properly as well as your CPU. If you can go to BIOS and restore to defaults or optimized defaults like I said earlier then we can take it from there and after doing the power plan like I said in WIndows then we can see what happens and if your box reboots on it's own and what not. 🙏🏽💯

Thanks for the reply man, really appreciate it. I have not overclocked any components, I am just a very casual gamer, I play LoL, GTA V, Withcer 3, Titanfall 2, and other games very casually, maybe about 2 hours per week. I mostly use the PC for Graphic Design, some video editing, and illustration. So here are the steps I have taken:

0Z3VC2o

Below are some information that I'm not sure if it would help or has an effect on the issue at hand, I just want to put it here just in case it is needed:

1. I turned off the Anti-Surge detection of the Motherboard to see if this would help.
  2. I found out that my UPS also has an AVR.
  3. But I also found out that my UPS is 600W while my PSU is 850W, when I bought the UPS, I told the guy that my PSU is 850W and he said that it was okay. But again, I'm not sure if this even matters.
Also, the other night the monitor was not able to display, I removed my GPU and updated both windows 10 and Nvidia driver. It was working fine but it did not detect again today.

Thanks again!

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020

0Z3VC2o

2. I found out that my UPS also has an AVR.
  3. But I also found out that my UPS is 600W while my PSU is 850W, when I bought the UPS, I told the guy that my PSU is 850W and he said that it was okay. But again, I'm not sure if this even matters.
Also, the other night the monitor was not able to display, I removed my GPU and updated both windows 10 and Nvidia driver. It was working fine but it did not detect again today.

Thanks again!
Ok your PSU reading are fantastic. Some even get 3.2v on the 3.3 rail or 11v on the 12 v rail. Also Im sure the PSU has good ampage on the 12v rail. The PSU is def not the problem. Also the nitwit that told you to get that UPS for a 850w PSU made a cardinal sin. Your UPS has to be like 1000w and PSU 850w makes more sense. Although you don't use wattage more then 450w peak with a current build and gaming or rendering, if there is a power outtage since the PSU on turn on takes more juice the PSU doesn't have enough of it at that point and the power comes back on and bang the PSU or components get messed up. TLDR

Honestly a UPS is only good for businesses that rely on 24/7 operation or live in a area where there are hurricanes and power outages of 3 days or more. Here in Los Angeles we dont even get a power outage once a year barely if that. It just doesn't happen and when it does power is back on within 2 hours or so. My recommendation if your paranoid is to do what I do which is use a Conditioner instead of a plane jane power surge. This way if there is power outage and then a power back on nothing will happen to your PC. It costs much more then a power surge but since Im in a studio I use it. Or just buy even a cheap power surge and you will be fine if there is a power outtage or some kind of weird current happening.

In closing no need for UPS just get a solid 20 dollar or 30 dollar power surge and don't be paranoid, unless you live in Oklahoma or a bad area where outage happens a lot and takes many hours to come back on. Good Luck
✌✝🙈

Solution