Question PC Randomly refuses to boot

Paradox1313

Reputable
Feb 23, 2016
This is a strange one I think, bare with me.

There are other scenarios but I am going to post the one right now as it is indicative of a lot of them.

First time computer booted up fine gave me windows picture screen, computer also never has trouble rebooting after upgrades.
Once it booted I realized I never had a workable keyboard and mouse connected, I only had the logitech wireless set which won't run till windows starts if it is not keyed to the receiver.

I plugged in a USB keyboard and mouse while it was still running, (hotplug) this of course didn't work so I rebooted the machine, the keyboard and mouse were picked up as the lights went on but the computer would not boot.
And continues to not want to boot.

For those familiar with a ASUS boot screen it shows the bios logo then flashes out and comes back, the second time it comes back there is a dotted circle which is windows starting up, I do not see the dotted circle, so far I have restarted it over a dozen times and no circle.

This has been happening for a while and I am tired of it.
Eventually it works and restarts but what a pain to get there.
Help is appreciated.

If there is anything you need to know please ask.

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to list your full system's specs. List them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Please mention the make and model of your components. How old is your PSU? Do you have any BIOS updates pending for your motherboard? What version of Windows 10 are you on? Does the issue crop up when you've breadboarded the system?

Paradox1313

Reputable
Feb 23, 2016
CPU: = Haswell-E i7 5960X
Motherboard: ASUS X-99-E
Ram: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB
SSD/HDD: Samsung 950 PRO SSD and Seagate SSHD 4TB Hybrid x3
GPU: Gigabyte Aorus 1080 Ti GTX Waterforce Xtreme
PSU: Corsair AX1500i
Chassis:Thermaltake View 71 T

Machine is 3 years old in April except the GPU which was installed about 2 years ago.
All updates I have received have been installed, none for the bios recently
I can't boot into Windows so can't see what version it is, unless there is another way?
I have never breadboarded this system, I had it built and there is no way I am taking it apart

Paradox1313

Reputable
Feb 23, 2016
No, only the two I have used for them for the last 3 years
No PS2 keyboard but I have ordered a generic USB set to try it without the fancy ones I got with their software etc

Paradox1313

Reputable
Feb 23, 2016
So two steps forward and one step back.
It boots (well its booted twice in a row now) with a generic keyboard and mouse instead of my expensive preferred set.

Now as for the step back, the first time it boots successfully its running for about a minute then spontaneous reboots and is fine after that.
I find this strange.