Question PC randomly restarting after new GPU was installed.

Killer0pro1

Commendable
Jun 26, 2020
Had same build but with 1070 for few months and all worked fine, now i replaced 1070 with 4080 and pc started restarting at random time, first screen freezes for few seconds then it restarts. Only thing i noticed it tend to restart when i ether browsing web or steam, playing any games for many hours non stop never caused restart yet.

Killer0pro1

Commendable
Jun 26, 2020
Do this: on Windows Start search type View Reliability History and open it. You should see errors when your PC froze. Double-click it and tell us what it says about the error.
Installation Successful: Windows successfully installed the following update: Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus - 29/12/2022 18:30
Windows was not properly shut down - 29/12/2022 18:36

Then again windows rr at 18:44 and antivirus update at 18:55
Seems to be today, both restarts happened just 5-10 minutes before and after this antivirus update.

Yesterday to, update rr update, that thing updates way to often it seems.

Installation Successful: Windows successfully installed the following update: Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus - 29/12/2022 18:30
Windows was not properly shut down - 29/12/2022 18:36

Then again windows rr at 18:44 and antivirus update at 18:55
Seems to be today, both restarts happened just 5-10 minutes before and after this antivirus update.
Try to find the Critical event where the system was not shutdown, but recovered by itself. If you don't have that on there, then next time it freezes let it sit there until it recovers or blue screens. This will provide more info on what caused the error.

Killer0pro1

Commendable
Jun 26, 2020
Try to find the Critical event where the system was not shutdown, but recovered by itself. If you don't have that on there, then next time it freezes let it sit there until it recovers or blue screens. This will provide more info on what caused the error.
Critical events are those windows shutdowns, but no more info what caused it. And tru whole weeks it all the same

Killer0pro1

Commendable
Jun 26, 2020
Update its now getting worse, started restarting even in games now. Was 1 or 2 restarts a day depending how long i was browsing's, now 5 restarts in less than 4 hours, kinda starting to get frustrated with this thing.

Update its now getting worse, started restarting even in games now. Was 1 or 2 restarts a day depending how long i was browsing's, now 5 restarts in less than 4 hours, kinda starting to get frustrated with this thing.
I was having the same issue. I've since switched the GPU to a different system hoping I can narrow it down to maybe the power supply. You and I are both are using Corsair HX power supplies (mine is the HXi). I installed the GPU yesterday on the different system with EVGA B2 power supply, I haven't come across any system freezes yet. I will update if and when I do.

My Windows logs ('View Reliability history' from Start Menu Search) tell me a hardware error caused the driver to stop working properly.

Killer0pro1

Commendable
Jun 26, 2020
I was having the same issue. I've since switched the GPU to a different system hoping I can narrow it down to maybe the power supply. You and I are both are using Corsair HX power supplies (mine is the HXi). I installed the GPU yesterday on the different system with EVGA B2 power supply, I haven't come across any system freezes yet. I will update if and when I do.

My Windows logs ('View Reliability history' from Start Menu Search) tell me a hardware error caused the driver to stop working properly.
Googled some tips, turned off automatic windows restart on system failure, hoping that will help, will see.
And my 'View Reliability history' just says windows was not properly shut down. No additional info whatsoever.

Killer0pro1

Commendable
Jun 26, 2020
Ok turning off automatic restart didn't help, made it worse in fact. Now screen goes black but pc still works. Guess gonna have to waste money getting new psu, and hope it will work...
Ps. arranged with amazon to deliver me new psu, but same model.

Last edited:

Killer0pro1

Commendable
Jun 26, 2020
I hope that's it. I'm afraid it might be your GPU. Mine graphics driver hung for a split second on this other system after updating to Windows 11 22H2 from 21H2.
So yeah, forgot about this post, but new psu did not help, pc would still rr from time to time. Least it not doing it again in games, only browser, no idea what caused it before to rr 8 times in few hrs.