Question PC randomly restarts and getting BSOD ?

wyuen82

Honorable
Nov 25, 2018
At first a few weeks ago, I began to notice that my PC will start to get really slow while gaming to the point it will lock up for half or minute or so before unfreezing. The blue screens started happening a few days later when I would get those freezes. It has got to the point now if I leave my PC on for most of the day while gaming or using a streaming service, it will blue screen 4-5 times a day.

My PC is about 5-6 years old now and I had built it myself doing a lot of googling on what parts I needed and how to actually put a PC together. My PC has been running relatively smoothly since then and the only major issue I've really experienced is what I'm currently going through. I wasn't sure what information I could provide here that would be helpful in figuring out what could be the cause of the BSOD I've been getting so often lately.

It's got to the point where I will put my PC on sleep mode, come back a few hours later to wake up my PC and it takes a good 20-30 seconds to wake up to my desktop before immediately blue screening while no web pages or major programs are running. I don't remember the exact specs of my PC and I'm not sure how to pull it up as I'm sure those would be helpful. I do remember I have a RTX 2070 and I think a Ryzen 2700x CPU? I tried to write down the BSOD stop codes, but I was sometimes too slow to remember to see it and jot it down.

The ones I did get are:
Unexpected Store Exception​
IRQL Not Less or Equal​
and one that did say something about memory.​

Please let me know any additional information I can provide and if anyone has any suggestions on what I can do or check to fix the issue. Oh I did check to see what my temperatures were using HWmonitor and I believe my temps for my CPU and GPU were within range and not running too hot after doing a google search. My understanding of PCs in general is pretty elementary, so any help is really appreciated!

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

Writing BSoD codes is pointless, the best option would be to post your .dmp files for us to analyze and help identify a fault in your platform.

wyuen82

Honorable
Nov 25, 2018
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

Writing BSoD codes is pointless, the best option would be to post your .dmp files for us to analyze and help identify a fault in your platform.
Okay I appreciate it. Trying to do a google search on how to provide all of the info that is required.

CPU: AMD ryzen 7 2700x
CPU cooler: none
Motherboard: ASRock x470 Master sli/ac
Ram: 16gb (not sure on brand)
SSD/HDD: 1tb SSD
GPU: RTX 2070 (I can't remember the brand)
PSU: I can't find this info under my system information screen
Chassis: would this be the case of the PC?
Monitor: Dell AW3418DW
PSU age is about 5-6 years old

I found where my .dmp file is, but I'm not sure how to post it as I don't have the appropriate app to open it to read?

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
At first a few weeks ago, I began to notice that my PC will start to get really slow while gaming to the point it will lock up for half or minute or so before unfreezing. The blue screens started happening a few days later when I would get those freezes. It has got to the point now if I leave my PC on for most of the day while gaming or using a streaming service, it will blue screen 4-5 times a day.

My PC is about 5-6 years old now and I had built it myself doing a lot of googling on what parts I needed and how to actually put a PC together. My PC has been running relatively smoothly since then and the only major issue I've really experienced is what I'm currently going through. I wasn't sure what information I could provide here that would be helpful in figuring out what could be the cause of the BSOD I've been getting so often lately.

It's got to the point where I will put my PC on sleep mode, come back a few hours later to wake up my PC and it takes a good 20-30 seconds to wake up to my desktop before immediately blue screening while no web pages or major programs are running. I don't remember the exact specs of my PC and I'm not sure how to pull it up as I'm sure those would be helpful. I do remember I have a RTX 2070 and I think a Ryzen 2700x CPU? I tried to write down the BSOD stop codes, but I was sometimes too slow to remember to see it and jot it down.

The ones I did get are:
Unexpected Store Exception​
IRQL Not Less or Equal​
and one that did say something about memory.​

Please let me know any additional information I can provide and if anyone has any suggestions on what I can do or check to fix the issue. Oh I did check to see what my temperatures were using HWmonitor and I believe my temps for my CPU and GPU were within range and not running too hot after doing a google search. My understanding of PCs in general is pretty elementary, so any help is really appreciated!
I'm thinking that observing task manager when your computer starts to slow down should give you some clues as to what is causing the slowness. Leave it on in the background and access it when the problem starts to show itself.

wyuen82

Honorable
Nov 25, 2018
I'm thinking that observing task manager when your computer starts to slow down should give you some clues as to what is causing the slowness. Leave it on in the background and access it when the problem starts to show itself.
what should I be looking for exactly? I've tried to do that once without it open, but my PC would seize up before I could alt tab and get the task manager opened. Most of the time when I notice it slowing down, I'm unable to click on anything, but I notice my frames dropping and my mouse pointer can be seen moving frame by frame across the screen.

wyuen82

Honorable
Nov 25, 2018
Yeah I'm noticing I'm not getting any of the lag or slowdowns anymore. It just immediately goes into blue screen without warning. It happens a lot of the time when I wake my PC up from sleep as well. Could use any other suggestions!

Have you tried actually shutting down the computer as opposed to using sleep mode to see if there's any change?

What's going on may also be an issue with overheating components. You can use HWInfo and/or HWMonitor to poll system information and it should show temperatures.

Have you been doing any maintenance with regards to dust/dirt cleaning?
CPU cooler: none
You certainly have a CPU cooler so if you don't have any records of what it is open the case up and look. I think the 2700X came with a wraith prism downdraft cooler so you may be using that.
PSU: I can't find this info under my system information screen
Open up the case and read the information off of the power supply itself.
Chassis: would this be the case of the PC?
Yes.