[SOLVED] PC randomly restarts when gaming

Shifty13

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2013
So im starting to pull my hair out with this now. For a while i thought my old gtx 980 ti was going bad, because my pc would restart with no error messages, but only when gaming. i just replaced the gpu with a new 3070 ti i and it is still restarting! I did as memtest for a couple hours and it passed twice, and ive ran cinebench for about half an hour to see if it crashes using that which it doesnt. Cpu never overheats when gaming, reaches 60c max, and gpu never goes above 68c. Im starting to wonder if it is the power supply, but it is brand new along with the rest of the system.

Full system spec:
Lian Li o11 D XL
Asus Crosshair xiii Formula
Ryzen 9 5900x
Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz
Asus ROG strix 3070 ti
Corsair RM 850 X

I will add that i have watercooled my CPU and i did drain my system once and i had a bit of an accident and spilled some coolant inside the system. But it mostly went onto my old GPU which is why i thought it was dead. I didnt turn the system on for nearly a week aftrer this happened and i made sure it was completely dry before powering on. I just feel that if something was damaged due to this then the system would crash at any time. not just when gaming, this is what doesn't make sense to me.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I checked event viewer and it says "Event 41: Kernal-power".

Solution
Did you replace the PSU since you had the 980 ti? if both the GPUs were on the same PSU with that issue then it is certainly possible the PSU is having some problems.
No it's same PSU. So I did a clear CMOS to see if that would make any difference and so far there has been to restarts since. Not sure why that is, but it seems to have done the trick for now

Shifty13

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2013
No because the psu is at the back and it didn't go anywhere near the pcie cables. Thinking about it, some may have got onto the EPS cables, because I opened a tube to help it drain and blew into another tube it and it sprayed in that direction (I know it's a stupid). But I'm pretty sure it just went onto the back wall of the case. I'm really struggling to remember if it did this before the accident anyway. In which case if it did, do you think it would be a psu issue?

No because the psu is at the back and it didn't go anywhere near the pcie cables. Thinking about it, some may have got onto the EPS cables, because I opened a tube to help it drain and blew into another tube it and it sprayed in that direction (I know it's a stupid). But I'm pretty sure it just went onto the back wall of the case. I'm really struggling to remember if it did this before the accident anyway. In which case if it did, do you think it would be a psu issue?
Did you replace the PSU since you had the 980 ti? if both the GPUs were on the same PSU with that issue then it is certainly possible the PSU is having some problems.

Shifty13

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2013
No it's same PSU. So I did a clear CMOS to see if that would make any difference and so far there has been to restarts since. Not sure why that is, but it seems to have done the trick for now

Solution

Shifty13

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2013
RAM is set to native speed. Probably the RAM is not very well compatible when it's running at 3600 MT/s. What's the exact modelnumber of the RAM? And there's a versionnumber written on the sticks, next to the voltage. What's the versionnumber on your sticks?
Oh I see, I might try enabling docp again then to see if the problem comes back. I can't see the numbering on the dimms because my vrm bridge is in the way. But on the box they came in I found this: CMW32GX4M4D3600C18. I think that might be model number, but I can't see anything else that looks like it would be version number.

Shifty13

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2013
Both kits have the same modelnumber?
For the version you have to look at the label on the sticks. It's written under or next to the voltage.
Yh they do, so I re-enabled docp to see if the problem would come back, and it hasn't after many hours of use, so I'm guessing something must have been conflicting in the bios maybe which was causing the issue