[SOLVED] Pc randomly restarts when gaming

Feb 16, 2022
Hi,
So I have this problem and have had it for quite some time. I have tried pretty much everything I have read on the internet and non of it has helped so far. So my problem is that my pc restarts when playing games, it happens with all types of games and it can happen 1 minute in the game or 2 hours into the game, its never consistant. I have tried stress testing the CPU and GPU to see if that did anything, but no. I have tried MemTest86 and that did not find any problem with the RAM.
GPU temp never gets above 70°C
CPU never get too high either, not sure what the highest is.
The PSU is getting old, so it might be that.
I have updated the bios, did not fix the problem.
Everything should be up to date.
I know one of the PCIE x16 ports are broken, but i dont think that would cause it cause it has been broken for longer than I have had this problem.
Hopefully there are someone here that might have a solution. If not I might have to buy a new pc.

My parts are:
i5 8600K CPU
GTX 1070TI GPU
MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon MB
Samsung evo 970 m.2 ssd
Corsair 650w PSU
Corsair h60 cooler
Fractal Design Define R4 case

Last edited:
Solution
Corsair 650W...from around 2010
i would not be surprised at all to find that this 12 year old, possibly lower end model, is just finally giving out.
many times a failing power supply can lead to the same issues you're experiencing.

when benching/stressing the power level may vary less than when running some games.
so the fact that it makes it through a stress test but crashes when gaming can be explained.

i would definitely be replacing this thing ASAP with something modern and reliable.
Feb 16, 2022
include the make & model of your power supply and how long it has been in use.

how do you know for certain that it isn't overheating if you don't know what temperatures it reaches?

with what?
The only thing I can find is Corsair 650W. I cant remember exactly how old it is, but I do belive its from around 2010 cause its from my previous build thar was built around 2010.

The tests I have tried is Cinebench and HeavyLoad for the CPU and Heaven for GPU

When I have tried monitoring the CPU temp, it never gets above 75°C at its highest, which I have read online says that shouldnt cause a overheating, but I might have read wrong.

Try to run games with MSI Afterburner stats on screen. Then you at least will see which reading is exceeding limits.

Also what appear in Event Log on restart? Maybe there is a clue like BSOD message? Would not hurt to run memtest86 or similar tool to rule out RAM errors.

Corsair 650W...from around 2010
i would not be surprised at all to find that this 12 year old, possibly lower end model, is just finally giving out.
many times a failing power supply can lead to the same issues you're experiencing.

when benching/stressing the power level may vary less than when running some games.
so the fact that it makes it through a stress test but crashes when gaming can be explained.

i would definitely be replacing this thing ASAP with something modern and reliable.

Solution
Feb 16, 2022

I am gonna order a new PSU, hopefully it it will fix the problems. Thank you for your help :)

I am gonna order a new PSU, hopefully it it will fix the problems. Thank you for your help :)

Use this list to assist you. Choose from tier A (preferably) or B. If you're unsure about a particular brand/model please ask.

Reactions: Flaten92 and Krotow