Question PC randomly restarts while gaming

sojakob

Commendable
Jun 10, 2020
Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600X
GPU: MSI Radeon RX 5700XT Gaming X 8GB
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
PSU: Corsair CX750M (750W, 80 plus bronze)
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe M.2

My PC is only a few months old, but about a month ago it started randomly restarting while gaming. Sometimes it takes only a few minutes, other times an hour or more, then the screen just goes black and the PC reboots. I have already run multiple stress tests and Memtest86+ as well as update the BIOS and disable BSOD auto-restarts.
Could it be because of my PSU, even though it works fine in specific tests?

Lutfij

Titan
You will need to see if the issue happens outside of games, like in desktop GUI while idle. If not then it's very likely you have a thermal problem or worse the PSU is unable to keep up with the power demands of your entire system, when taxed.

You can use HWMonitor to monitor temps, to identify if it's a thermal problem. Likewise you can get a donor PSU that is the same wattage but of reliable build quality to see if you get the same issue crop up on donor PSU.

Reactions: sojakob
Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600X
GPU: MSI Radeon RX 5700XT Gaming X 8GB
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
PSU: Corsair CX750M (750W, 80 plus bronze)
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe M.2

My PC is only a few months old, but about a month ago it started randomly restarting while gaming. Sometimes it takes only a few minutes, other times an hour or more, then the screen just goes black and the PC reboots. I have already run multiple stress tests and Memtest86+ as well as update the BIOS and disable BSOD auto-restarts.
Could it be because of my PSU, even though it works fine in specific tests?

One detail you left out was what memory you are using? Ryzen can be very fussy with ram, especially at higher clocks. It's worth trying running the ram at lower clocks and testing to see if that improves stability, it will reduce frame rates a little but it's only a matter of a few %.

Reactions: sojakob

sojakob

Commendable
Jun 10, 2020
One detail you left out was what memory you are using? Ryzen can be very fussy with ram, especially at higher clocks. It's worth trying running the ram at lower clocks and testing to see if that improves stability, it will reduce frame rates a little but it's only a matter of a few %.
I have G.Skill RipJaws V 2x8GB DDR4-3600, but changing the frequency doesn't seem to do anything

Reactions: cdrkf

sojakob

Commendable
Jun 10, 2020
You will need to see if the issue happens outside of games, like in desktop GUI while idle. If not then it's very likely you have a thermal problem or worse the PSU is unable to keep up with the power demands of your entire system, when taxed.

You can use HWMonitor to monitor temps, to identify if it's a thermal problem. Likewise you can get a donor PSU that is the same wattage but of reliable build quality to see if you get the same issue crop up on donor PSU.
I'm pretty sure the temperatures aren't the issue, I've already tried HWMonitor and the temps seem fine. Is there any other way to test the PSU? I don't have a similar one.