PC Randomly shuts down when playing games or rendering videos

edayz

Prominent
Nov 13, 2017
Hi,
I bought my computer in January and it had worked well so far. However, a week ago it turned off down randomly and I couldn't turn it on again. Every time I tried to turn it on, it turned off after 2 seconds and started again, failing again. The loop remained until I unplugged my pc.

I reseted the CMOS and the pc could start again. However, from that moment on, my pc has been shutting down randomly when I play games. Once it happened while I was rendering a video in Davinci Resolve.

After my computer goes off randomly, the loop starts again, only now it stays on a bit longer (I get to see the Gigabyte logo at least) and in some cases it starts again.

Another thing. When I turn off the computer, after being playing games, I hear the fans working hard and it shuts down abruptly, then the loop starts. It's like it can't properly shut down when the GPU is under some load.

Until now I only know that the problem occurs when the GPU is on load. When I run Prime95 it shuts down after a few minutes.

I don't think it's overheating, because the computer has turned off in normal temperatures (under 65 ºC when playing games).

I think it may be the PSU, but I have no way to try another one.

What do you think it could be? (Sorry if my english isn't good)

Here are my computer specs:

PCU: Intel Core I7 - 6700K 4GHZ 8MB
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury Black DDR4 8GB 2133MHZ (x2 - 16GB in total)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming
HDD: 2TB Seagate SATA 64MB 7200RPM
PSU: Thermaltake 600W SPD-0600P
CPU FAN: Cooler Master Fan Hyper T4

edayz

Prominent
Nov 13, 2017

Hello toshibitsu, thanks for answering!

I've already tried re-seating all components, re-applying the thermal paste and cleaning dust.
By the way, today I run memtest86 and my pc turned off on test "block move". It didn't show any errors though.

toshibitsu

Distinguished
Oddly enough, I was playing COD WWII when I got home today and my PC shut off. I flipped the switch on the PSU, waited about 30 seconds, flipped it back, then got it to power back on. It stayed on for awhile... but then shut off again while I was in the middle of a show on Netflix. After that I couldn't get it to turn on again. Pulled out a PSU from another desktop I had here & tried. The system is now staying on and working just fine. Seems I'm in the market now for a new PSU.

edayz

Prominent
Nov 13, 2017

How often does it turn off? Sometimes my computer keeps hours without turning off and I can play without problems. Is it your case too?

toshibitsu

Distinguished
It turned off once during the game. After it came back on... it stayed on until it shut off the 2nd time during a movie. Then, it wouldn't turn on again. It's staying on just fine now with the PSU I borrowed from my other desktop. It's not a case issue(I'm certain nothing is grounding out anywhere)

edayz

Prominent
Nov 13, 2017

I wish I had another PSU. I would buy another one to try but I prefer to be sure first. I think I'll take my pc to the technical service to see if they can test it with another PSU.

toshibitsu

Distinguished
Just make sure they don't charge a diagnostic fee(most places do). Otherwise I'd just hop over to Bestbuy or Fry's(whichever is closest to you) and buy something decent. If it's not the PSU, at least you'll be able to return it and get your money back.

edayz

Prominent
Nov 13, 2017

I think they won't charge me a diagnostic fee, I'll talk to them before anyway. By the way, I'm from Chile (South America), so I do not have access to those stores and here pc components are a bit more expensive.

edayz

Prominent
Nov 13, 2017
I took my pc to the technical service and they replaced my motherboard for free. I've been using it for a few days and until now everything is fine.

Thanks for the help. I will notify if there are more news.