[SOLVED] PC Randomly shuts down, won't turn on unless PSU switched off/on again

Mileta

Reputable
May 2, 2016
Hello guys, I've read some threads but couldn't seem to find the same problem that I am experiencing so I am making a new one.

Basically as the title says, my PC shuts down randomly (no freeze, no blue scren lt's like a power cut), actually it happens when I'm in 2 games at once, these two are World of Warcraft and League of Legends. Sometimes when i do something minor on WoW i go play with my friend quick games on League. After the shut down the PC won't turn on unless I turn off and back on the PSU. I recently upgraded my CPU and everything that goes with it to a Ryzen 5 3600 and that never happened to the old setup, more on that a bit later.
So my current specs are :
CPU : Ryzen 5 3600 (non x) with a BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 so the temps are more than OK, i'm monitoring them always.
RAM : G SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600 mhz
MOBO : Asrock x570 Pro4
GPU : GTX 1080 Gigabyte
PSU : LC Power LC8750III V2.3 Prophecy 3 Metatron 750w 80+ bronze
Kingston 480GB ssd + 1TB HDD

The old configuration was :
CPU : Intel Xeon x5675 @ 4.1 GHz with a CM Hyper T4 cooler
RAM : Crucial 2x8GB 1600 mhz
MOBO : Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
The rest was the same
So I guess the old config was more power hungry? I also play PUBG and that puts heavy load on my GPU ( running at 100% ) while the cpu is around 50% and it never happened. Also i did some stress tests and never have I had a shut down.
I have found a post about checking my PSU voltages via HWMonitor and they look fine to me.

I did not try any overclocking in the BIOS, everything is on default. I got the Ryzen master and the setting is on Precision Overboost. Te powe plan is on AMD High Performance.

screenshot-3.png

Solution
that power supply might kill your hardware tho, id replace asap, its not a well received PSU and ive seen a reddit post a while back with Lc-power psu killed their components. its also the reason why you experience your problem.

also use HWinfo64 rather than Hwmonitor.

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
that power supply might kill your hardware tho, id replace asap, its not a well received PSU and ive seen a reddit post a while back with Lc-power psu killed their components. its also the reason why you experience your problem.

also use HWinfo64 rather than Hwmonitor.

Last edited:
Solution

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016

Mileta

Reputable
May 2, 2016
id generally avoid thermaltake for powersupplies, and that one isnt really good at all.

get any one of these instead.

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.00 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.89 @ Amazon)

I'm looking for PSU that i can buy here at local stores, so how about this one?
It's 110€ here and looks like a good one to me. Opinion?
https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/power-supplies/masterwatt/masterwatt-750/

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
We do have physical stores but it's the same stuff, nothing different...

its hard to recommend any of these, one thing is for sure you will definitely have the same experience a few days/weeks/months down the line if you chose anyone of these. plus you run the risk of killing your components.

id suggest to dig deeper maybe going to a different city, find any corsair TX/HX/RM/RMi or seasonic focus plus models at least 650w should do fine with your build. Antec earth watts or FSP hydro G/X are good options.
there should be at least a "pc hardware haven" in your country, at least in the 2 countries ive lived in (KSA before and now Philippines) has had a PC hardware center where you can pretty much get any PC component you can think of.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Thanks for the recommendation i will try to find some of these PSUs, so you think the problem could be caused by the psu after all ?

It may or may not. The problem is that a low quality PSU in the mix makes it difficult to diagnose any other problem, so the first step is to get a quality PSU in there.

The PSU selection you have is not good. If, in the end, you can't dig up one of the top-tier PSUs (it's recommended given your specs), the Riotoro 750W is at least adequate.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11188/the-riotoro-onyx-650w-750w-power-supply-review
https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/04/13/riotoro_onyx_750w_power_supply_review/

Reactions: j3ster

Mileta

Reputable
May 2, 2016
Ok so I managed to find a CORSAIR TX Series Modular TX850M Gold 850W In the neighbour country, should arrive in 2-3 weeks. 100eur + shipping ( shouldn't be more than 120€ all together)