[SOLVED] PC randomly shuts down

Aug 29, 2019
Hello, my PC shuts down randomly at idle or low load. I had this PC for 3 years and it worked fine, these problems came up 3 weeks ago. I have taken it to 3 repair services but they didn't find anything.

Also, I have tried using a new power cable, a different extension cord, different outlets.

Specs:
CPU: i5-6500 (@ 3.20 GHz)
GPU: AMD STRIX R9 380 series (2GB VRAM)
RAM: 16 GB (DDR4)
PSU: Aerocool VX-550
Motherboard: H170M PRO-VDH

Last edited:
Solution
Yes, it can shut down while trying to boot (but this doesn't happen often, only after a lot of shutdowns occurred at the same time). And yes, I thought it could be the PSU but since I don't have a spare one or a friend that could borrow it - I will just hope that it was the PSU and buy a new one at the worst case.
Either way, if it's a bad PSU, so you're not losing out, I always believe you are never losing out, as long as you buy a good quality unit. So quite often in these cases, it is worth doing anyway as it will eliminate the suspects, but also gives you a safer and stable rig anyway.
Aug 28, 2019
Hello, my PC shuts down randomly at idle or low load. I had this PC for 3 years and it worked fine, these problems came up 3 weeks ago. I have taken it to 3 repair services but they didn't find anything.

Also, I have tried using a new power cable, a different extension cord, different outlets.

Specs:
CPU: i5-6500 (@ 3.20 GHz)
GPU: AMD STRIX Rx 380 series (2GB VRAM)
RAM: 16 GB (DDR4)
PSU: Aerocool VX-550

Try switching to single Ram 8 GB

Aug 29, 2019
if not try installing Piracy is not allowed here
Uses less ram witch may pass
10 mins using internet download manager safes you download progress
It could shutdown while installing it. I forgot to mention - it sometimes shuts down when trying to start up(and it becomes a loop - turns on and shuts down) and thus I have to unplug it and wait for some time before plugging it in again to turn it on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: juanpgmartinez
Aug 28, 2019
It could shutdown while installing it. I forgot to mention - it sometimes shuts down when trying to start up(and it becomes a loop - turns on and shuts down) and thus I have to unplug it and wait for some time before plugging it in again to turn it on.

Strange try removing the 3 bottom round prong from the cord

Aug 29, 2019
I think you should go back to this suggestion:

To confirm, did you say it can shut down before Windows has even loaded?
Yes, it can shutdown before windows can even load (although not always the case)

EDIT: I don't have a spare PSU and I can't borrow one since I don't have a lot of friends. From the store though, I don't think you can return it in my country.

Aug 29, 2019
I'd potentially be tempted to go into BIOS and check CPU temperatures and see if they are abnormal. Although I'd expect a PC shop to find this. Do you know what tests the PC shops have done?
I played for like 2 hours now and it didn't shut down this time. CPU temps seem normal (They didn't exceed 60 Celsius. I used HWmonitor to see this). The repair services have done load tests for cpu and gpu.

Aug 29, 2019
After like 6 hours it finally shut down, although not completely, it stopped outputing to the screen but GPU, CPU and fans work. The power and restart button do nothing, this happened to me yesterday (to fix it I turned i unplugged it and waited for a few minutes.
EDIT; this behaviour started happening since yesterday, any suggestions on what to do or how it's related to it normally shutting down?
EDIT2: usually the pc would just shutdown and instantly try to start again without me pressing the power button, but this "half shutdown" is different

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Image from Event Viewer
http://prntscr.com/ozo3oo
42 critical events of it shutting down without the OS knowing it
(the 43rd event is from 2018 so I don't think it matters)
Unfortuntely the kernel event 41 is just a generic power loss error. You'd get the same error appear by pressing the reset switch on your PC. It's just stating that the proper shutdown procedure wasn't followed, but gives no indication as to why. Just what happened.

i would still go back to what alexoiu stated.

I'd be interested to see if the shutdown still occurs in safe mode - I'd think it would because you said it can shut down before Windows loads.

usually random shut downs when software and firmware has been eliminated, it can often be PSU and GPU as first ports of call, and my understanding of the Aerocool VX series is they are poor quality, so this would be my first item to look at.

Reactions: zHooP
Aug 29, 2019
Unfortuntely the kernel event 41 is just a generic power loss error. You'd get the same error appear by pressing the reset switch on your PC. It's just stating that the proper shutdown procedure wasn't followed, but gives no indication as to why. Just what happened.

i would still go back to what alexoiu stated.

I'd be interested to see if the shutdown still occurs in safe mode - I'd think it would because you said it can shut down before Windows loads.

usually random shut downs when software and firmware has been eliminated, it can often be PSU and GPU as first ports of call, and my understanding of the Aerocool VX series is they are poor quality, so this would be my first item to look at.
Yes, it can shut down while trying to boot (but this doesn't happen often, only after a lot of shutdowns occurred at the same time). And yes, I thought it could be the PSU but since I don't have a spare one or a friend that could borrow it - I will just hope that it was the PSU and buy a new one at the worst case.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Either way, if it's a bad PSU, so you're not losing out, I always believe you are never losing out, as long as you buy a good quality unit. So quite often in these cases, it is worth doing anyway as it will eliminate the suspects, but also gives you a safer and stable rig anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: zHooP
Solution