[SOLVED] PC randomly shuts down

peeyur

Prominent
Jul 27, 2021
I've seen this question a lot here, but I couldn't quite find a reason why my pc would randomly shut down.

So I was playing GTA 5 and my pc just shut down.
I remember that happening 2 years ago with GTA 5 as well!
I upgraded my pc, but even then my 700 watt power supply should be beefy enough.
I have stress tested my PC and it never shut down before...
There's also no hot air coming out the back of my PSU.

Solution
Could it be that my CPU is just running too hot and for that reason my PSU is shutting down to protect itself?
I've got a case that's made to be pretty silent and it's not know for epic airflow.

Aida64 will tell you your temps under load and if CPU is overheating it would either throttle down the CPU or shut the system down. That has no relation to PSU.
If the PSU is failing then yes the system may shut down due to overvolting spikes or poor rail voltage. Do the stress test and report the results.

peeyur

Prominent
Jul 27, 2021
no problem!
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Nvidia GTX 1660 Super
Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro
Dual channel Crucial Ballistix 3200mhz
700 watt Cooler Master PSU

peeyur

Prominent
Jul 27, 2021
I think it's around 3-4 years old and I don't know exactly what model it is, but it never failed. This only happened with GTA 5 now and like 2 years ago.

OK where to start?
First check your PSU under load. A stress test using Aida64 can check your Rail voltages and possible overheating issues. If during the test (20mins) your voltages drop below spec (+or - 5%) then the PSU is suspect.
Voltages are best tested using HWInfo64. If you feel the PSU is the issue then swap the unit out with a known working unit of the same or higher Wattage.

Should the unit prove to be Ok then report back and we can move on.

peeyur

Prominent
Jul 27, 2021
alright!

I knew I had an overheating issue when I upgraded my PC, so I disabled turbo boost which helped. I still have overheating issues. Apparently even without turbo my CPU reaches 88 degrees!
Not quite what I wanted to see. I thought I was good when I saw RPCS3 emulating with max 77 degrees (95 with turbo).

Last edited:

peeyur

Prominent
Jul 27, 2021
Could it be that my CPU is just running too hot and for that reason my PSU is shutting down to protect itself?
I've got a case that's made to be pretty silent and it's not know for epic airflow.

Aida64 will tell you your temps under load and if CPU is overheating it would either throttle down the CPU or shut the system down. That has no relation to PSU.
If the PSU is failing then yes the system may shut down due to overvolting spikes or poor rail voltage. Do the stress test and report the results.

Solution