PC randomly shuts off after POST boot (before booting Windows)

Xelahgohn

Reputable
Dec 20, 2014
Hi,

My computer seems to randomly shut off when, I turn it on on a cold start up. It only happens rarely. Maybe once or twice a week. I use the system often. I did a memtest86 already and, it passed with flying colors. Computer seems to run very well and so does the video games. Nothing seems to be wrong. Just, sometimes I'll turn on PC (cold boot); and, it will turn off. Oddly, turning it back on doesn't cause it to shut off again.

Any suggestions?

System Specs:

Corsair Carbide Alpha Blue (semi-gloss/white interior.)
CabelMod UV/RGB LED strips (2)
Seasonic 760 Watt Platinum
Asus PRO GAMER Z97
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series (Dual Channel/4x8) 16GB
Intel i5 4690k Devil's Canyon OC'd to 4500Mhz
DeepCool GamerStorm Captain 240EX Liquid Cooler
4 Corsair 120mm JetFlo Blue LED Exhaust (2 top push/2push w/ pull on cooler)
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 Xtreme 6GB
Asus M.2 Hyper X4 card //// Corsair Mp500 M.2 240GB
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD
Seagate 7200.4 500GB
WD Black 1TB
TP-Link 802.11ac WiFi card

Solution
Doesn't matter how many watts the PSU is. I had to send back 2 different PSUs in the past 5 years (Corsair & Silverstone) 750W Gold because they started failing at startup.
It's NOT a question of over taxing the PSU. It's about failing components within the PSU.
This is just a guess of course going on my past experience.
Sounds like you turn your PC on and off a lot in one week.
If there is some reason why you don't want to keep it on that's valid.
You might want to consider leaving it on.
As for your problem. it could be the sign of a failing PSU. Yes, even good brand name PSUs fail sometimes.

Xelahgohn

Reputable
Dec 20, 2014

(While I also think the power supply might be going); could it have something to do with humidity protection? It's not humid here but, it only seems to happen on a cold power up.

Xelahgohn

Reputable
Dec 20, 2014

Can't imagine that 760 watts wouldn't be enough to run my system.

I have 8 fans running. 4 sticks of ram. 1 5.25" HDD. 1 3.5" HDD. 1 SSD. 1 M.2 SSD. No DVD drive. Can't imagine that the 1060 Xtreme would be an issue. It's very low power consumption. Even overclocked (which it is). M.2 is running on PCIe 16x lane 2. (That is the second video card lane). Could all this setup be too much for my 760 watt PSU to handle?

Doesn't matter how many watts the PSU is. I had to send back 2 different PSUs in the past 5 years (Corsair & Silverstone) 750W Gold because they started failing at startup.
It's NOT a question of over taxing the PSU. It's about failing components within the PSU.
This is just a guess of course going on my past experience.

Solution

Xelahgohn

Reputable
Dec 20, 2014

Thank you for your kind and prompt responses! Guess I know what I need to do!

Xelahgohn

Reputable
Dec 20, 2014

I've already got an RMA written up with Seasonic. Waiting on approval.

Xelahgohn

Reputable
Dec 20, 2014

You were correct! Sorry for late response. Time flew and, completely forgot! Seasonic sent me a newer model equal to, the 760XP model: (which has been discontinued) in; OEM, brand new! 750 Watt Focus Platinum. Pretty cool!