Question PC Randomly shutting off

Oct 14, 2022
Build:
CPU: i5 4690K (7 years old)
CPU Fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (5 years old)
GPU: GTX 1660 Super (2 years old)
MOBO: MSI Z97 PC MATE (7 years old)
PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W Non-Modular (2 years old)

Last night, my computer started randomly shutting off. I have a hard time believing that it's my PSU because I had the same issue about two years ago with my old PSU, leading me to replace it with the Be Quiet PSU I have now(Which fixed the issue back then), and I heard good things about Be Quiet PSU's. It happens whether I'm playing a game or not. I thought it would be my temps so I installed HWMonitor and checked them and the temps look normal.

I don't have a second PSU to troubleshoot with, so I want to be certain that it's my PSU before I spend money, and I'm even more hesitant because the PSU I have now is relatively new.

Whenever it shuts down, the fans & LED don't stop which leads me to believe that it is probably not the PSU.

Nothing except for the GPU is overclocked which is factory overclocked.

Not sure if this is relevant but a few weeks ago I clean reinstalled my OS (Windows 10 Pro N)

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
The PSU (despite being only 2 years old) may be starting to falter and fail in some manner. Especially if there is a history of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer.

Either one or both tools may be capturing some error codes, warnings, or even informational events just before or at the time of the random shutdowns.

Start with Reliability History. Much more user friendly and the timeline format may reveal some pattern of events.

Event Viewer is more difficult to work with but there is no need to rush. FYI:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3128616/windows-event-viewer.html

= = = =

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Confirm by sight and feel that all cards, connectors, RAM, jumpers, and case connections are all fully and firmly in place.

Use a bright flashlight to inspect for any signs of damage: bare conductor showing, connector cracks, browned or blackened areas, swollen components, loose or missing screws, pinched or kinked wires.

Hopefully something has just wiggled a bit loose. That happens as a result of heat related expansion and contraction plus vibrations.

Oct 14, 2022
The PSU (despite being only 2 years old) may be starting to falter and fail in some manner. Especially if there is a history of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer.

Either one or both tools may be capturing some error codes, warnings, or even informational events just before or at the time of the random shutdowns.

Start with Reliability History. Much more user friendly and the timeline format may reveal some pattern of events.

Event Viewer is more difficult to work with but there is no need to rush. FYI:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3128616/windows-event-viewer.html

= = = =

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Confirm by sight and feel that all cards, connectors, RAM, jumpers, and case connections are all fully and firmly in place.

Use a bright flashlight to inspect for any signs of damage: bare conductor showing, connector cracks, browned or blackened areas, swollen components, loose or missing screws, pinched or kinked wires.

Hopefully something has just wiggled a bit loose. That happens as a result of heat related expansion and contraction plus vibrations.
Whenever my PC shuts off, event viewer shows a "Critical" level that states "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

I cleaned my PC, and I didn't see anything lose or damaged.

My old PSU before the one I have now is a green label CX 500 (which has a terrible reputation compared to the one I have now) and that one lasted for 5 years, that's why I was kinda hesitant to get a new PSU but I just ordered one because nothing else works.