[SOLVED] PC really slow after changing Intel virtualization settings in BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 30, 2021
So I've read somewhere that you can disable virtualization in your BIOS if you don't need it, with claims of improving security and even performance. Can't say if that's true, but I decided to try and turn it off.

So I've found a setting called " Intel Virtualization Technology " in my motherboard's settings under the CPU Configuration tab, set it to "disabled" and pressed "save and exit". The PC powered off and back on.

When it loaded into my desktop everything was very slow. Pressing the start button, opening programs and loading websites feels slow and sluggish, as if I was running on a incredibly slow HDD and CPU combo. Even moving windows around the desktop is slow and laggy.

I was kinda shocked so I went back to bios and enabled it again. But upon restarting my PC the problems is STILL there. I tried restoring my bios settings back to default using the advanced menu, but that didn’t help either. I don't really understand how/why this happened. Can anyone help me getting my PC back to usual speed?

Specs:
ASROCK B360M PRO 4 MOBO
i5 8400
GTX 1060 6GB
16GB DDR4 RAM @ 2666 mHz
240GB M.2 NVME SSD (where Windows 10 is installed)
1TB HDD

chaoyang

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
Solution
Jul 30, 2021
No worries, here is the link for your CPU driver from Intel's website (Downloads are on left-hand side):

Important: Make sure to select the correct OS

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30579/Intel-Graphics-Windows-DCH-Drivers

Just tried that. Downloaded the drivers from the page you linked and ran igfx_win_100.9684.exe, but during the setup it got an error message saying it couldn't find drivers to install on this device (code: 8). Also tried using Intel's driver and support assistance and it also said "No supported driver or software updates for your system".

I also noticed that when doing simple tasks like loading website, opening file explorer or even just moving my mouse around in my web browser makes CPU usage go up to 70-100%, when I stop doing stuff it goes back down to around 20-40%. It kinda acts like it's running on the iGPU, but my GPU drivers were fine, Windows detects my GTX 1060 and GeForce Experience says my drivers are up-to-date.

Status
Not open for further replies.