PC reboots or shuts down randomly, or just display goes blank. Is the PC dead?

LennyLLama

Reputable
Jan 19, 2016
Hello,
I'm using this computer for a year now but it already started to die. I don't even know what part is causing the problem.
Now while I'm using the computer (idle) it suddenly
A. Reboots itself but when it opens there is no display and the red CPU light on the motherboard lights up (I solved it by replugging CPU power cable)
B. Shuts down
C. Reboots normally
One of these randomly happen.

And when im using the computer on high load
A. Computer keeps on running, I can still hear sounds too but there is no display until I reboot the computer (and the GPU fans go max speed)
B. Reboots itself
C. Shuts down
One of these randomly happen

Now I thought this was a graphics card problem at first because a week or two ago when I used the computer on high load only the display would go blank (or pink, but mostly blank. actually the pink screen only happened once) but I could still hear sounds. And when I rebooted the PC this screen came after the boot screen: http://i.imgur.com/IPxkDzu.jpg and computer only booted normally when I tried to boot it like 2-10 times.
This doesn't happen anymore so I started to think it's a PSU problem.
Is it possible? If it is what do I do? And if not, what might cause the problem? Or is everything dead? It has only been a year since I built the PC.

Oh and that pink screen I mentioned which happened only once: http://i.imgur.com/q6RkWfn.jpg

Thanks and sorry for my bad English.

Solution

If you haven't done so already, return it to stock voltage and see if that helps. If the GPU detects an internal error due to low voltage that could lead to system corruption, it may pull the system reset line to prevent potentially corrupted data from getting written to disk/SSD.
Probably a PSU problem, but start with re-installing GPU drivers. Also, if you can, try running the PC with a different monitor, just to be sure.

Honestly though if it's restarting and shutting down randomly, it's highly likely that it's a PSU problem. What PSU do you have?

Reboot - most likely is BSOD happening. Turn off auto-reboot on system failure and you'll get BSOD info next time this happens.
Shutdown is a safety feature. It kicks in either from overheating or too much load on PSU.
Monitor going pink - this most likely is caused by GPU overheating.

Please list complete specs of your PC.

LennyLLama

Reputable
Jan 19, 2016

SeaSonic X-750

I did a clean reinstall of GPU drivers because of that white line problem it didn't solve the problem but it solved itself after a week. My PSU is SeaSonic X-750

The fans are mostly running at 50% (I sometimes forget to open them because GPU Tweak automatically disables them) and at idle GPU is around 30 celsius, at high load it's 50-60 celsius

Specs are:
i7-6700K
Cooler Master Nepton 240M
Kingston HyperX Fury 2x8GB 2133MHz
MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon
ASUS STRIX GTX 1060
SanDisk Ultra II 240GB
Seagate ST1000DM010
SeaSonic X750

InvalidError

Titan

Guess that rules out the low quality PSU theory. A material or manufacturing defect is still a possibility to consider even with the best brands' best models.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
My guess would be GPU.
Other reasons can be PSU or RAM. Yes, bad RAM can also restart computer at random times. I had that problem for years but it was hard to track down since it only happened max once a week etc. Decided to run a memtest and sure enough, tons of errors on 1 stick.

LennyLLama

Reputable
Jan 19, 2016

It still has warranty, should I send it?

Ok, I'll run a memtest now, tell you the results when it's done.

LennyLLama

Reputable
Jan 19, 2016

Ok, so I tried Memtestx86, used the installer but the computer won't boot from the USB, I guess I have to open legacy mode but i don't know how to so I simply run Microsoft's own memory test tool and it said no error was found.
Any other suggestions?

LennyLLama

Reputable
Jan 19, 2016

Nope no OC at all, actually I underclocked the GPU because I thought it would use less power.

InvalidError

Titan

If you haven't done so already, return it to stock voltage and see if that helps. If the GPU detects an internal error due to low voltage that could lead to system corruption, it may pull the system reset line to prevent potentially corrupted data from getting written to disk/SSD.

Solution

LennyLLama

Reputable
Jan 19, 2016

I didn't change the voltage I only underclocked it. But now I returned it to normal clock.