CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
CPU Cooler: Stock
Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WiFi
RAM: Corsair 32GB 3200MHz (16x2)
GPU: NVIDIA 1650 Super 4GB
Power Supply: 550W

BIOS Settings changed from default
- Enabled XMP Profile 1 to match RAM speeds

In these settings PC reboots immediately after booting into Windows in a minute.

• Enabled XMP Profile 1 to match RAM speeds
  • Clicked on the CPU button in EZ Mode (which enabled Precision Boost Override option I think)

In this setting PC stays ON for days if I do not do any gaming. Whenever I play light games like CS:GO after random time it reboots in this setting.

Motherboard Reports
CPU Temp: 53 degrees C
Voltage 1.4V

Troubleshooting Steps taken
  • Updated the BIOS to the current latest using MFlash
  • Changed RAM slots, tried with single stick, etc
  • Reset BIOS to defaults
  • Ran CPU benchmarks 2 times in succession in the second set of settings above nothing happens, works fine with max temps 85 degrees
  • Ran GPU benchmarks which also does not cause reboots

I am really frustrated with this. It is a new PC with each part new. My biggest problem is that how do I determine in which component is the problem

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
CPU Cooler: Stock
Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WiFi
RAM: Corsair 32GB 3200MHz (16x2)
GPU: NVIDIA 1650 Super 4GB
Power Supply: 550W

- Enabled XMP Profile 1 to match RAM speeds

In these settings PC reboots immediately after booting into Windows in a minute.

• Enabled XMP Profile 1 to match RAM speeds
  • Clicked on the CPU button in EZ Mode (which enabled Precision Boost Override option I think)
In this setting PC stays ON for days if I do not do any gaming. Whenever I play light games like CS:GO after random time it reboots in this setting.

Motherboard Reports
CPU Temp: 53 degrees C
Voltage 1.4V

Troubleshooting Steps taken
  • Updated the BIOS to the current latest using MFlash
  • Changed RAM slots, tried with single stick, etc
  • Reset BIOS to defaults
  • Ran CPU benchmarks 2 times in succession in the second set of settings above nothing happens, works fine with max temps 85 degrees
  • Ran GPU benchmarks which also does not cause reboots
I am really frustrated with this. It is a new PC with each part new. My biggest problem is that how do I determine in which component is the problem
I'd try it first with the 'cpu button in EZ mode' disabled. That sounds like some sort of automatic overclocking which never works well in my experience.

Next would be to remove XMP1 settings.

In fact, just do a CMOS reset and run in ultra-clean, base mode for a bit to see if it holds. If it does then you know it's something in your BIOS setup that's doing it.

Finally is the PSU, although you say it's brand new and it doesn't sound like 'under load' is much of a load since you don't game very much. Also, a 1650 GPU doesn't seem like the power beast a 2080ti would be.

Brand new Gigabyte P550B
Just to put things in perspective... 'brand new' is the second most common period for electronics (especially things like PSU's) to fail. The most common is the, rather intuitively obvious, 'end of life' period. It's even got a name for the phenomenon... infant mortality. So saying it's 'brand new' makes it an obvious culprit to rule out if there are troubles.

Aug 27, 2020
Just to put things in perspective... 'brand new' is the second most common period for electronics (especially things like PSU's) to fail. The most common is the, rather intuitively obvious, 'end of life' period. It's even got a name for the phenomenon... infant mortality. So saying it's 'brand new' makes it an obvious culprit to rule out if there are troubles.
It seems odd to me that all your suggestions are based on the words being used to describe rather than some actual facts mentioned (or well tried to mention). The most bizarre thing I find is that running CPU Stress Test (CPU-Z) and GPU benchmark (Heaven) for more than an hour continuously (once even together) does not cause it to reboot but as soon as I turn the Motherboard's settings to default (which turns off Precision Boost Override and XMP-1 Profile it reboots (even from the BIOS)). Idk what problems you are going to find in my words again but thanks!

Reactions: vhetic
Aug 27, 2020
I'd try it first with the 'cpu button in EZ mode' disabled. That sounds like some sort of automatic overclocking which never works well in my experience.

Next would be to remove XMP1 settings.

In fact, just do a CMOS reset and run in ultra-clean, base mode for a bit to see if it holds. If it does then you know it's something in your BIOS setup that's doing it.

Finally is the PSU, although you say it's brand new and it doesn't sound like 'under load' is much of a load since you don't game very much. Also, a 1650 GPU doesn't seem like the power beast a 2080ti would be.
Hi thank you for the suggestion.

Some interesting observations:
- I can only get the PC to stay (and not reboot) by turning on the (XMP-1 Profile AND CPU button in EZ Mode [which enabled Precision Boost Override])
In this mode I ran CPU stress tests (CPU-Z) and GPU benchmark on loop (Heaven) for 1 hour (once even at the same time) with CPU temps maxing at 89 and GPU at 70 but no reboots.
In this mode, as soon as I play some games after random amount of time it reboots.

- CMOS reset and with default BIOS settings (absolutely nothing changed)
It reboots after approximately 2 minutes no matter what. Even from the BIOS.

Last edited:
To use the EZ button you're supposed to have everything at stock settings...I believe that includes ram so no XMP profile. The EZ button is nothing but a built in over clocking utility that isn't so good.

In my experience the EZ button has proven to be unstable so I have not used it after some initial fooling around with it. Much better to manually set XMP and PBO in the BIOS and run that way.

Desch_

Reputable
Apr 29, 2016
i think it has something to do with your power supply.

not necessarily the PSU, but possibly just the method of delivery.

are you using some sort of extension cord or power strip?
how many different electronics do you have plugged into the outlet powering your machine?

a couple times i slammed my desk when i died at a critical moment and it insta-restarted my computer just because it didnt have a steady supply for a millisecond :D

Aug 27, 2020
Thank you everyone!
I replaced the motherboard and everything seems to be working fine. The fact that it was rebooting from the BIOS too indicated a power delivery problem.

Nov 22, 2020
Thank you everyone!
I replaced the motherboard and everything seems to be working fine. The fact that it was rebooting from the BIOS too indicated a power delivery problem.
Did you change for the same model or changed chipset?

I am also curious as to if you changed the motherboard model or chipset. I have almost the same PC as you minus the PSU and RAM, and I have been having the same issue for about a week - only I haven't been able to install Windows. I reconfigured my BIOS to match yours which helped me finally install Windows, but now I am wondering if I should change the mobo while I still can.

Aug 27, 2020
I am also curious as to if you changed the motherboard model or chipset. I have almost the same PC as you minus the PSU and RAM, and I have been having the same issue for about a week - only I haven't been able to install Windows. I reconfigured my BIOS to match yours which helped me finally install Windows, but now I am wondering if I should change the mobo while I still can.
I replaced it with a same chipset but different motherboard: https://www.asus.com/in/motherboards-components/motherboards/all-series/tuf-gaming-b550m-plus-wi-fi/

Nov 22, 2020