[SOLVED] PC reboots when playing FFXIV

amnesiabro23

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2015
My pc completely reboot’s itself when playing the game and it’s only game that does this tested cyberpunk and Star Wars Jedi fallen order for hours and nothing happens tried reseating the gpu, updated the gpu drivers turned off all “advanced settings” for amd gpu reinstalled the game, and updated the bios for mobo.
Specs:
Cpu: amd ryzen 7 5800x
Gpu: asus tuf Radeon 6800xt
Psu: Corsair rm 850x
Ram: corsair vengeance rgb pro 32gb
Cpu cooler: nzxt kraken z73
Mobo: ASUS prime x570 pro gaming
Also to note temps when playing ff14 cpu: 50 gpu:38

Solution
quality power supplies are struggling with these new cards (AMD 6000 series, NVidia 3000 series, and also the Vega series cards), and the main issue is current spikes, not rated wattage.

These cards have such large current spikes compared to previous generations of GPU. So the card may be rated at 300-400W depending on which partner card you get, but when looking at power draw in a very fine time resolution, the card will occasionally draw 500-600W briefly before power regulation kicks in and brings the power draw back to its rated TBP. This sudden spike in power consumption is too quick for most monitoring software to pick up on, but it triggers over current protection (OCP) on your PSU and your computer either black screens or...
quality power supplies are struggling with these new cards (AMD 6000 series, NVidia 3000 series, and also the Vega series cards), and the main issue is current spikes, not rated wattage.

These cards have such large current spikes compared to previous generations of GPU. So the card may be rated at 300-400W depending on which partner card you get, but when looking at power draw in a very fine time resolution, the card will occasionally draw 500-600W briefly before power regulation kicks in and brings the power draw back to its rated TBP. This sudden spike in power consumption is too quick for most monitoring software to pick up on, but it triggers over current protection (OCP) on your PSU and your computer either black screens or shuts down.

My 2080 Ti FTW3 on a 750w PSU would reboot my computer, changed it for a 1600w i had on the shelf and havent had an issue ever since no mater how hard i push the card.

Im not to versed in AMD cards, the last time i had on was a Redeon x850 xt AGP, but with MSI afterburn you might be able to limit the power down to 90% which then when it does spike would hopefully keep it in check and keep the PSU happy.

Reactions: amnesiabro23
Solution

amnesiabro23

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2015

These cards have such large current spikes compared to previous generations of GPU. So the card may be rated at 300-400W depending on which partner card you get, but when looking at power draw in a very fine time resolution, the card will occasionally draw 500-600W briefly before power regulation kicks in and brings the power draw back to its rated TBP. This sudden spike in power consumption is too quick for most monitoring software to pick up on, but it triggers over current protection (OCP) on your PSU and your computer either black screens or shuts down.

My 2080 Ti FTW3 on a 750w PSU would reboot my computer, changed it for a 1600w i had on the shelf and havent had an issue ever since no mater how hard i push the card.

Im not to versed in AMD cards, the last time i had on was a Redeon x850 xt AGP, but with MSI afterburn you might be able to limit the power down to 90% which then when it does spike would hopefully keep it in check and keep the PSU happy.
Thank you I’ll be definitely testing out afterburner if I do need to upgrade the psu then it is no problem for me this is a 2 month old build so I’m happy I didn’t spend on a new gpu or anything expensive

logainofhades

Titan
How old is that PSU? That's a fine unit, and shouldn't have any issues, with your setup. I am running a 5800x, and an RX 6800, non xt, on a 650w Fractal Ion SFX. You have 200w more than me, with a GPU of only 50w higher than mine. It is possible it is faulty, but that PSU is definitely plenty, for your rig, assuming it is operating correctly. Did you do a fresh install, of windows, when you built this?

Reactions: amnesiabro23

amnesiabro23

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2015
How old is that PSU? That's a fine unit, and shouldn't have any issues, with your setup. I am running a 5800x, and an RX 6800, non xt, on a 650w Fractal Ion SFX. You have 200w more than me, with a GPU of only 50w higher than mine. It is possible it is faulty, but that PSU is definitely plenty, for your rig, assuming it is operating correctly. Did you do a fresh install, of windows, when you built this?
The psu I bought in December last year but I built the whole rig in February due to prices of gpu’s. I did do a fresh install of windows when it was first built I could try to reinstall windows and see if it changes anything. If it is a faulty psu it’s not a problem to find a new one.