Question PC Reboots while gaming with no blue screen or overheating

Raaarz

Reputable
Jun 26, 2017
I'm not super knowledgeable about computers. I have never overclocked anything or even been in bios.

CPU : Intel Core i7-7700K 4.20ghz Kaby Lake-S

MB: ASUS PRIME Z270-A (Kaby Lake)

GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 Ti (Zotac)

RAM: 16GB G.Skill DDR4-3200 1600MHz

PSU: EVGA Supernova 850 G3

Monitors: 3 monitors of 1920x1080/60hz,3440x1440/144hz, 2560x1440/144hz

I have had the same PC for a several years with zero problems. After a water graphics update in a game I play (World of Warships), it has started rebooting my computer every game. If I turn the water graphics down it is fine. I don't play any high demanding games but I expect this will be a problem when I decide to get into something new. For now I can easily just run lower settings, but I need to fix this because I assume it will eventually get worse.

I have monitored the temps on CPU and GPU while playing but they are mostly in the 60s (C) never has a chance to get hotter because the reboot happens very early in the game if I am on max water settings.

I have done command prompt "chkdsk /r" and "sfc /scannow" and it claimed to fix some things, but the problem persists.

I have updates Graphics Drivers.

I have run short OCCT tests of all 7 types. Monitoring was done on lower water settings to not reboot me and had zero errors. Only Power came back with errors, and it was a LOT. About 1 Min into the test it started finding 30,000-40,000 errors every second. "Power - 38500 error(s) found (CPU)" Every second but with a different number.

I am guessing its a hardware problem, but I'd really rather not go wasting money without trying other options first.
Any ideas and advice would be greatly appreciated. I am going to bed now and will check back tomorrow.
Thanks in advance.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Crashes with no BSOD means windows isn't the cause.

How old is the PSU?

The PSU test is simply a test that fuly loads the GPU(s) and CPU(s) at max with the highest workloads there could possibly be: a furmark-like OCCT GPU stability tester and Linpack for CPUs. As such the power draw will be at the maximum and the PSU itself may begin to feel some strain. OCCT says the load under the PSU test is about 40% higher than with Crysis.

Raaarz

Reputable
Jun 26, 2017
How old is the PSU?

I built the computer while the 7700k was the newest i7 processor around so it must have been bought in 2017 since that was released then. So 4 1/2 years roughly.
Also, I forgot to mention I did look at the logs after the first few reboots and I do get errors 6008 and 41 kernel power, which were why I tried the command prompt things in the first place.
Everything was bought new from Newegg other than the 980ti. I was told it had barely been used and was never overclocked.

Last edited:

Raaarz

Reputable
Jun 26, 2017
I haven't been doing anything else intensive so I cant say. The reboot has only happened in World of Warships with water quality (and all other settings) on maximum.

During the OCCT power test it was pumping out 30k-40k errors per second and making loud noises it didn't crash/reboot me, but I canceled it after a minute or so of the errors. I decided to run it again but let it go longer and at about 2 min after the errors started the CPU was reaching 100c so I immediately stopped it. It still didn't force reboot me though. I am fairly certain when the in game resets happened the temp was nowhere near that high, but I will test it again and edit this post in a few min with the results.

EDIT: I did a game at max settings and did not reboot for the first time. Temps were 55-65C on the CPU and 70C on the GPU for most of the match, which is what I was seeing yesterday when the reboots were happening. I am really confused now since it happened like 8 games yesterday before I posted. The 8 Games yesterday weren't all back to back. I played with lower setting in between a few times to try to figure it out then it crashed in the first 30 sec of each game with max settings.

EDIT2: I got a 2nd game without reboot, but on the 3rd game I played it rebooted me in the first 30 sec of the game like every time yesterday. It seems to happen when I open the in game map. The in game map zooms out from your ship and rotates your perspective very fast briefly showing the entire map in full quality before become the basic detailed map. Thinking back to yesterday I remember a few of the games I was opening the map on too. I can't remember the them all, but its possible that every time the reboot has happened has been while opening the map.

Last edited: