Question PC Reboots While Gaming

Apr 27, 2019
I have had this problem for about 2 years and I stopped playing games for a long while. Now, I just want to solve this problem for good. I started happening when I first upgraded my monitor from 1920x1080 to 3440x1440. So it makes me think demanding games reboot my PC.

System (4 years old):
Windows 10 Pro with latest updates
Intel i5-4690K
32GB DDR3 1866 RAM
Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 5 Motherboard with latest BIOS (F7)
Gigabyte GTX970 G1 GPU (Driver version 425.31)
Corsair CX 750M PSU (80+ Bronze)
LG 34UC98 Monitor (Connected with displayport)

Memory Dump:
No memory dump file under C:\Windows

Event Viewer After Reboot:
Event ID 6008: The previous system shutdown at 11:39:55 PM on ‎4/‎26/‎2019 was unexpected.
Event ID 41 Source Kernel-Power: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

MSI Afterburner settings during reboot (using preconfigured profile):
Power Limit: 56%
Temp Limit: 66 Degrees Celcius
Core Clock: (-) 405 MHz
Memory Clock: (-) 101 MHz
Fan Speed: 95

Gpu-Z Sensor Log (last line is before reboot):
https://s3.eu-west-3.amazonaws.com/ozgunakalin-public/GPU-Z+Sensor+Log.txt

Scenario:
Games without demanding graphics do not cause reboot at max resolution (Slay The Spire, Faster Than Light etc)
Games with demanding graphics cause reboot at any resolution (that makes sense to use with an ultrawide monitor).
If I don't underclock the card, PC can reboot in 2-3 minutes. If I limit the power of GPU and lower resolution, it can last for 30-100mins.
With Frostpunk, PC would reboot very quickly but after lowering the resolution and underclocking, I could play the game for hours without reboot issue anymore.

What I don't understand is, even the temperatures are within limited range, why is my PC rebooting?

What I tried:
Clean install of Windows and graphics drivers
Trying with 8GB Ram (different slots), 16GB Ram (different slots), 32GB Ram
Changing PCI-E slot for GPU
Changing power outlet
Cleaning the dust in case
Underclocking GPU clock

Last edited:
I suspect either your PSU, or the GPU itself as the culprit here. How OLD is your PSU ? Can your TEST the GPU on some other system/PC, if possible ?

A system reboot might also indicate that either your PSU is failing, or it might be faulty. Maybe try using some other Power supply to check the card ?

Apr 27, 2019
Both parts are a little more than 4 years old. I have also edited main post accordingly.

I cannot test the parts with another PC, but I can order new parts and try them.

My current plan is, after reading many posts, order a new PSU and check if problem persists. If it doesn't, I will return the PSU I bought just to try, and order this recommended one from US. But again, GPU can also be the problem here, so I am trying to find a solution that costs as little as possible.

That's an AWESOME PSU model from Seasonic. High-end build quality....

Anyways, BTW, did you DELETE this thread before ? Because, I wanted to EDIT my previous post, but I couldn't do it, because the system said "this thread has been removed", or something like that... But, I'm glad it's again visible now. I just wanted to say, kindly check all the PSU cables as well.

Make sure everything is properly connected and seated, all components of your PC. If need be, try reseating the GPU on the PCI-e slot once again.