[SOLVED] PC reboots while playing games

Peter_131

Honorable
May 15, 2016
Hello Guys!
Lately I've been having issues with my PC, it reboots while gaming without BSOD and I never experienced a similar issue before.
The first time this happened was when I launched FIFA 23, the PC restarted minutes after launching the game.
The other game where I saw this issue is The Witcher 3 v4.00, PC restarts after 1-1.5 hours of gameplay.
Weirdly enough Tiny Tina's Wonderlands had no issues at all even after 2+ hours of gameplay.

The system:
MB: ASUS Strix B350-F Gaming
CPU:Ryzen 5 5600x (stock) with a be quiet pure rock 2 cooler
RAM: 2x8GB 3200MHz
GPU:Gigabyte RX 5700XT
PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze

I've been monitoring the temps in every game, CPU never exceeds 60c and GPU never goes above 72c, so it's not because of overheating.

Troubleshooting steps I've done so far:
-Rolled back GPU driver version
-After that did not work wiped all GPU drivers with DDU then reinstalled the latest AMD driver.
-Ran stress tests on both CPU and GPU (no crashes)
-Disabled automatic restart on system failure
-Reseated VGA in a different PCI-e slot - Last time when I dissassembled my PC I put the GPU to the secondary PCI-e slot. Can that cause an issue like this if the slot if faulty? This problem started some time after this if I remember correctly.

Can this be caused by some kind of malware?

Please let me know your thoughts and what else can I do to find the culprit.

Thank you!

Peter_131

Honorable
May 15, 2016
Sure. Depending on the graphics features enabled, you could put the GPU under a heavier power load.

Definitely don't overclock anything while using an underpowered PSU.
Definitely not going to overclock anything.
I will get a stronger PSU to see if the problem ceases.

By the way the GPU is a Gigabyte OC RX 5700XT.

Thanks a lot!

Peter_131

Honorable
May 15, 2016
Last edited by a moderator:

Peter_131

Honorable
May 15, 2016
Good luck! Please follow up with results.

Be sure to swap all internal cables when swapping PSUs. Cables are not universally interchangeable between PSUs.
So I got an 1000W CoolerMaster 80+ Gold PSU instead, just finished playing witcher 3 for like 2.5 hours, no issues whatsoever.
The problem seems to have been the PSU indeed.

Thank you!