Question PC receives power, no display, fans turn off after ~1 minute

Nov 4, 2019
My brother's PC recently stopped working - it wouldn't turn on at all. So I initially tried the process of elimination, and started taking out components one at a time - only to find out it would 'start' (lights come on, but wouldn't boot) when the GPU was taken out. So I tested out his GPU in my PC and it worked. I also replaced his RAM with a stick of RAM from my PC, which still didn't solve the issue. So I came to the conclusion the problem was either the PSU or the motherboard.
We have bought a new PSU and now the PC's lights will turn on and the fans will start spinning for the first minute or two (which is an improvement) and then they stop, however there is still no display.

The monitor is working perfectly fine, and connected properly.

I have tried the 'bleep' test with the motherboard by launching with no RAM plugged in - no bleeps.

It should be noted that all parts are compatible, and all connectors that should be plugged in on the motherboard, are correctly plugged in.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Well the 'bleep test' is iffy since a large amount of motherboards don't have speakers but lets see what else we can do.

The issue you have cold be either hardware or software related with the suspicious hardware being the motherboard and CPU and the suspicious software being the BIOS. Even if it was a drive failure you should have gotten something on the screen before it fails. Please provide the specifications for the computer in question.

Nov 4, 2019
Well the 'bleep test' is iffy since a large amount of motherboards don't have speakers but lets see what else we can do.

The issue you have cold be either hardware or software related with the suspicious hardware being the motherboard and CPU and the suspicious software being the BIOS. Even if it was a drive failure you should have gotten something on the screen before it fails. Please provide the specifications for the computer in question.
Thank you for your reply.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-HD2
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
CPU: He's not sure
RAM: 1x Stick of 8GB DDR3
PSU: New 450W

Ok well due to the age of the hardware involved honestly anything could have failed. If a new PSU did not change things and the RAM and GPU have been validated then it is most likely a failure on the motherboard. If there was no strange behavior beforehand then i would start by replacing the CMOS battery. it would be pretty understandable for a 6-7 year old motherboard battery to run dry and would result in this behavior. It is very easy to see the battery on the board below the CPU socket. take it out and search for the model number online. You should be able to find them very cheap with fast delivery on Amazon or newegg. Do not just test this with the battery from your computer as different manufacturers and different motherboard generations use different batteries and you don't want to damage it. If replacing the CMOS fails then it could be a more serious issue. It is possible it is a BIOS issue so it is worth following the recovery steps outlined in this post if the CMOS battery swap does not fix things.

https://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=9462.0

Nov 4, 2019
Ok well due to the age of the hardware involved honestly anything could have failed. If a new PSU did not change things and the RAM and GPU have been validated then it is most likely a failure on the motherboard. If there was no strange behavior beforehand then i would start by replacing the CMOS battery. it would be pretty understandable for a 6-7 year old motherboard battery to run dry and would result in this behavior. It is very easy to see the battery on the board below the CPU socket. take it out and search for the model number online. You should be able to find them very cheap with fast delivery on Amazon or newegg. Do not just test this with the battery from your computer as different manufacturers and different motherboard generations use different batteries and you don't want to damage it. If replacing the CMOS fails then it could be a more serious issue. It is possible it is a BIOS issue so it is worth following the recovery steps outlined in this post if the CMOS battery swap does not fix things.

Sorry I forgot to mention we replaced the CMOS battery too. I will try following your link and see how it goes.

Nov 4, 2019

Nope still no display at all on the monitor and the CPU fan stills stops spinning after about a minute, however it is only the CPU fan that stops spinning (GPU and PSU still going)

Ok well unfortunately it seems like you have run the gambit when it comes to troubleshooting steps. If you indeed had a power supply failure then the most likely to fail components are the CPU and Motherboard depending on the type of failure the PSU experienced. At this point you have the option of purchasing and testing a new motherboard compatible with that chip which should be easy enough to find. you could also pickup a new AMD FX series processor to test that and due to their age and tons of surplus stock you can find them for really quite cheap. Personally i would take this as a sign that it is time to rebuild the computer from the ground up but if the budget does not support this i totally understand. If you can find a capable computer repair shop near you, look for a place that specializes in computers specifically not phones, then i would have them see if they can validate the troublesome components but otherwise those are your options. I am sorry i could not solve the problem but sometimes things just break. If you would like some suggestions for a new PC build feel free to send me a PM and i can work with you and your budget for your use case. Hope things get better!