[SOLVED] PC resetting under load but I've got a decent PSU

May 22, 2020
Hey, I've been having some weird trouble with my PC recently and I thought I'd ask about it here.
Whenever I game the screen just goes black. The tower itself is still lit up, but the screen and keyboard are off.

Now, with my previous cheap Korean PSU, I figured that my GPU just couldn't get enough power so it would turn off. I solved this by underclocking it and it worked as a temporary solution until I got a better PSU. No resets even when reaching 100w on the GPU.

Today I got and installed it as soon as I was able to. Figuring I was finally free to not underclock, I decided to play Rage 2, the game where the resetting happened....aaaand it did. I thought "Okay, maybe 550w is too low? I'll underclock it again and see if that works. It should since Corsair is actually a well-known brand with quality stuff, right?"

Wrong.

To my immense surprise, at a 95w GPU average, it RESET after around 4 minutes of gameplay. This is markedly worse than the Korean UDEA PSU and that cost me a fraction of what I spent on this Corsair PSU!

Anyway, my question is, could I possibly be missing something? This seems like a really bad purchase and I might just have to sell this stuff to get a better one. It's so strange that what should be a better PSU is so...bad.

I've looked around the internet for other threads but most say it's a faulty/bad PSU. I checked if it's outputting 12v as it should through HWInfo and it is. It's so weird...

My rig:
MSI B450M Bazooka Plus
Ryzen 5 2600
Sapphire Nitro+ RX570 8GB
Kingbox 2x 8GB 2666MHz DDR4 RAM
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD
Kingston A2000 250GB M.2 NVME SSD
Corsair CV550 550W PSU (previously UDEA R500 500W PSU)

Solution
"Should be" is a fair understanding. However, overall, component power requirements are generally established under some ideal circumstances that justify a lower power wattage statement.

PSU's on the other hand are likewise tested under ideal circumstances that allow an overstatement of power availability.

When in reality there are times when component power demands peak and the PSU cannot not actually keep up.

The errors you found in Event Viewer and Reliability: were there other similar errors?

Things you can still do:

1) Power down, unplug, open the case. Clean out dust and debris. Reseat all cards, connectors, RAM, jumpers. Ensure that all are fully and firmly in place.

2) Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it...
May 22, 2020
Here is a link from within this website:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

Read the review and try 2 or 3 of the listed calculators.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings that correspond with the times of the resets. Look for a common error or pattern of errors. Could be some warning(s) as well.

I'll try them out as soon as I can. In Event Viewer, I get error 41 kernel-power every time a reset happens. I'll take a look into Reliability History as well.

Have you checked the temps?
Yep, was getting around 58°C~60°C in game. Normal temps afaik.

May 22, 2020
Here is a link from within this website:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

Read the review and try 2 or 3 of the listed calculators.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings that correspond with the times of the resets. Look for a common error or pattern of errors. Could be some warning(s) as well.

This is what I got from Event Viewer
And this is from Reliability History

I tried 2 of the wattage calculators since the others don't work for me:
Cooler Master wattage calculator
Newegg wattage calculator

The CV550 should be adequate according to these results...am I doing something wrong?
I also read that I should try a fresh install of Radeon Software after using DDU. Did that and it didn't work. Tried it once I saw that I also had Radeon Software Application errors up the wazoo.

Since there hasn't been a reply in a while, I figure it shouldn't be too bad to come back with my results now...

Ralston18

Titan
"Should be" is a fair understanding. However, overall, component power requirements are generally established under some ideal circumstances that justify a lower power wattage statement.

PSU's on the other hand are likewise tested under ideal circumstances that allow an overstatement of power availability.

When in reality there are times when component power demands peak and the PSU cannot not actually keep up.

The errors you found in Event Viewer and Reliability: were there other similar errors?

Things you can still do:

1) Power down, unplug, open the case. Clean out dust and debris. Reseat all cards, connectors, RAM, jumpers. Ensure that all are fully and firmly in place.

2) Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it? Or have a family member or friend who does?

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test as the PSU is not under load but an out of spec voltage could be a clue.

3) Drivers: Do your own uninstall and reinstall by downloading the applicable drivers via the manufacturer's website.
Install yourself and reconfigure as necessary. No third party tools or utilities.

Solution
May 22, 2020

Things you can still do:

2) Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it? Or have a family member or friend who does?

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test as the PSU is not under load but an out of spec voltage could be a clue.

3) Drivers: Do your own uninstall and reinstall by downloading the applicable drivers via the manufacturer's website.
Install yourself and reconfigure as necessary. No third party tools or utilities.

1.) Did that before testing it again, did pretty much the same.
2.) Nope, and nobody here knows how to use one. The only family I have who could possibly do that lives way too far away unfortunately.
3.) Did the uninstalling and reinstalling of drivers, made sure to remove the installed drivers beforehand. I was hoping it was just a driver issue, but no dice. Still restarted.

I've decided to switch back to my previous PSU until I can save up enough for another one (and get a refund on the Corsair CV550). Seems like I'll have to look for something of both high quality and high capacity. Thanks for the help though, really appreciate it!