Question PC restart and hardlock during gaming. No BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThtAintFalco

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2016
Like the title says I am at a loss currently I feel like I have done everything short of replacing multiple parts. I have also posted this to reddit to try and work out what is wrong.

Playing some games lately has been hard-locking my PC. Sometimes it restarts itself but most of the time it just freezes until I restart it myself via the power button. I have temperature monitoring on and nothing appears to be spiking high enough to warrant a crash/restart. I have nothing overclocked, everything is running at stock. The only relevant code event viewer has shown me is "Kernel Power 41" which is there to show the PC wasn't meant to restart. I have run stress tests which led me to believe it was the psu overloading so replaced the 750w I had with a brand new 1000w but issue still happens.

Things I have tried: Installing a brand new PSU, Running memory tests. Reinstalling gpu drivers, Complete reformat of windows, Bios Update, Reapplying thermal paste and making sure case is dust free, stress tests (pre new psu)

My Specs are below:
Motherboard: Z490UD
CPU: i7 10700k
GPU: evga RTX2080 Super 8g
RAM: DDR4 Corsair Vengence 3200mhz
PSU: Corsair RM1000e 1000w Gold
Windows 10 running on an M2 SSD
Cooler: H115i water cooling.

Any help would be amazing as I am at a loss of what to do.

zinkles

Commendable
Aug 24, 2022
Reinstalling gpu drivers
How did you do this? did you use a software like DDU to do this?
Also did you 'reinstall' the same drivers?

Try reverting back to a previous version of the driver and keep me updated about that.

EDIT: Does this happen only in one specific game, or in all the different games that you play? (assuming they are graphically intensive games)

ThtAintFalco

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2016
How did you do this? did you use a software like DDU to do this?
Also did you 'reinstall' the same drivers?

Try reverting back to a previous version of the driver and keep me updated about that.

EDIT: Does this happen only in one specific game, or in all the different games that you play? (assuming they are graphically intensive games)
So I did it the normal way but also once I reformatted windows completely I did it again. It's been happening for a few months now so it would be over multiple different gpu driver versions.

It happens on games that are intensive but also happened last week on two games that are not at all. I had to lower one of the games to the lowest setting graphic wise to actually play it rather than the high setting it was on. It doesn't happen on every game I play but the issue has left me playing two games out of the many that I have to avoid the risk of crashing.

Status
Not open for further replies.