Question Pc restart/shut down

Feb 25, 2023
I’m having a little problem with my pc. The pc works and run well. No codes, or anything. My problem is that when I shut down my pc or restart it, it wont show anything on the screen. I would have to do a hard shut down/restart then it’ll boot normally. It doesn’t do it in sleep mode what so ever. Only when I restart or shut. I would basically have to turn it on, then shut it down and turn it back on for it to start properly.

if anyone knows a solution for this problem I would appreciate to know the fix. Thank you!

Feb 25, 2023
Hello, everyone. I’m hoping someone can help me here with this problem I’m having with my pc. The pc works and run well. No codes, or anything. My problem is that when I shut down my pc or restart it, it wont show anything on the screen. I would have to do a hard shut down/restart then it’ll boot normally. It doesn’t do it in sleep mode what so ever. Only when I restart or shut. I would basically have to turn it on, then shut it down and turn it back on for it to start properly.

if anyone knows a solution for this problem I would appreciate to know the fix. Thank you!

best to run cmd.exe as administrator then run
powercfg.exe /energy
and look at the report.

your system does not complete the shutdown.
you have to figure out why.

first, do you have a media player sharing any media? these apps are given the right to stop a system shutdown. (there are setting to turn off this effect)

second: is there a second windows machine or xbox on the same network?
these remote machines also have rights to block your machine shutdown.
Best test is to unplug network cable and disconnect the wireless connection and try to shutdown and see if it completes. (this will also prevent other cases that cause shutdown failure, smb servers, network storage devices,...)

now if the machine does not shutdown when the network is disconnected and you have no media player running on the local machine then you want to turn off the drives write cache and see if the system will shutdown.
this is the general procedure: How to manually turn disk write caching on or off - Windows Server | Microsoft Learn

now see if the machine shuts down.

this registry setting can sometimes help it makes windows write what it is attempting to do;
see the section how to use registry editor to enable detailed status messages:
Enable verbose startup, shutdown, logon, and logoff status messages in Windows Server 2003 - Windows Server | Microsoft Learn

fixing the problem could involve update the bios, the cpu chipset driver the storage driver
and maybe the firmware of the storage device. (bug can be in any of those systems)
media player have a windows control panel config option to allow the shutdown while sharing media)

Last edited: