[SOLVED] PC Restarting after "buzz sound" from mobo

Aug 15, 2020
Greetings everyone,

I have a problem with my new build, which I have no idea how to solve.

My config:

MPG X570 Gaming PRO CARBON WIFI
Ryzen 7 3700x
MSI AMD Radeon RX 5700 Gaming X
Corsair TX650M
HyperX Fury, 8Gb, 2666MHz (the other 8Gb did not arrive)

Basically I have 2 games installed on the PC: CS GO and PUBG

Problem 1) When I start CS, the mobo RGB turns off (the coolerbox and gpu rgb keeps on).

Problem 2) About 5 minutes later... the PC reboot from nowhere ...

Before the PC restarts, the screen goes black, I hear a "buzz" sound, and the red LEDs on the mobo (CPU, DRAM, VGA, BOOT) lights up ...

Any idea what it might be? :confused_old:

Solution
Ok, I understand now. Makes sense. I'm surprised it hasn't arrive though. A few weeks back I had to RMA a set of laptop DIMMs from Corsair, and they had them drop shipped from South Korea because they didn't have ANY replacements available ANYWHERE else other than the manufacturing facility.

What BIOS version is installed on your board? Check to see if it has the MOST recent BIOS version. If it does not, update. Do that, before you do ANYTHING else.

AFTER you do that, go to the product page for your motherboard, and download the latest drivers ONLY FROM THE MOTHERBOARD PRODUCT PAGE, no where else. Do NOT resort to using the Microsoft supplied drivers or any "driver update utilities" of ANY kind whether third party or from the board...
What do you mean "the other 8GB did not arrive"?

Do you mean to say you bought two separate memory modules, individually, not together in a set? If so, I'd recommend you just stop, and send it back, and cancel the other one that didn't arrive, and RE-order your memory in a kit that will come with a pair of matched DIMMs. Also, it would be VERY WISE to not try running 2666mhz DIMMs. Instead, for that board and CPU combination, there is absolutely no reason you should not be running a 2 DIMM kit with either 3200mhz CL14 sticks or 3600mhz CL16 sticks.

I'd also recommend that you make SURE you order a memory kit that is validated to run on your motherboard, which basically means if it's not on the motherboard QVL list then you either search out any model you wish to use to find validation that it's been used with that board before with success OR you stick to G.Skill or Corsair memory, which you can validate from their website using the G.Skill memory configurator or the Corsair memory finder utility. Other manufacturers really don't have similar validation tools.

Is the power supply new, along with the other parts, or is this TX650m from an older build?

Does the PC do this if you just go into the BIOS and sit there, rather than booting into Windows, or does it only happen after you boot into Windows? What Windows version are you running and was it a clean install or was your Windows installation used on a previous system?

Reactions: gdps
Aug 15, 2020
What do you mean "the other 8GB did not arrive"?

Do you mean to say you bought two separate memory modules, individually, not together in a set? If so, I'd recommend you just stop, and send it back, and cancel the other one that didn't arrive, and RE-order your memory in a kit that will come with a pair of matched DIMMs. Also, it would be VERY WISE to not try running 2666mhz DIMMs. Instead, for that board and CPU combination, there is absolutely no reason you should not be running a 2 DIMM kit with either 3200mhz CL14 sticks or 3600mhz CL16 sticks.

I'd also recommend that you make SURE you order a memory kit that is validated to run on your motherboard, which basically means if it's not on the motherboard QVL list then you either search out any model you wish to use to find validation that it's been used with that board before with success OR you stick to G.Skill or Corsair memory, which you can validate from their website using the G.Skill memory configurator or the Corsair memory finder utility. Other manufacturers really don't have similar validation tools.

Is the power supply new, along with the other parts, or is this TX650m from an older build?

Does the PC do this if you just go into the BIOS and sit there, rather than booting into Windows, or does it only happen after you boot into Windows? What Windows version are you running and was it a clean install or was your Windows installation used on a previous system?

Tnks the reply @Darkbreeze

"What do you mean "the other 8GB did not arrive"?

I bought a kit with 3200Mhz from Corsair, but because of COVID it still hasn't arrived ... So I got single RAM borrowed from a friend.

All the parts are new.

The problem happens only when I start the PC and load a game. I left it in the BIOS for almost 1 hour and nothing strange happened.

However, I formatted the computer (Windows 10) ... and apparently the problem was solved. But the RGB on the motherboard keeps turning off when I load a game (but from what I read it is a problem with the Dragon Center from MSI, even because without the software installed, the RGB works fine)

Ok, I understand now. Makes sense. I'm surprised it hasn't arrive though. A few weeks back I had to RMA a set of laptop DIMMs from Corsair, and they had them drop shipped from South Korea because they didn't have ANY replacements available ANYWHERE else other than the manufacturing facility.

What BIOS version is installed on your board? Check to see if it has the MOST recent BIOS version. If it does not, update. Do that, before you do ANYTHING else.

AFTER you do that, go to the product page for your motherboard, and download the latest drivers ONLY FROM THE MOTHERBOARD PRODUCT PAGE, no where else. Do NOT resort to using the Microsoft supplied drivers or any "driver update utilities" of ANY kind whether third party or from the board manufacturer. If you have ANY bundled software from the motherboard manufacturer installed, such as often comes with them on disk, uninstall it, and do not use it. Make sure to get the drivers for the chipset directly from the AMD website, rather than from the board manufacturer. This is the only driver for the board you want to get from the chipset developer, not the board manufacturer. Network adapter (If onboard adapter is being used), audio, any USB drivers not included in the chipset, etc., that are available from the motherboard product page is what you want to use.

My usual copy pasta on this below. This has been shaped by a long time of doing this here, and reflects the resolutions for the MOST common problems based on what has been successful in the greatest number of cases.

If there are any steps listed here that you have not already done, it would be advisable to do so if for no other reason than to be able to say you've already done it and eliminate that possibility.

First,

make sure your motherboard has the MOST recent BIOS version installed. If it does not, then update. This solves a high number of issues even in cases where the release that is newer than yours makes no mention of improving graphics card or other hardware compatibility. They do not list every change they have made when they post a new BIOS release.

Second,

go to the product page for your motherboard on the manufacturer website. Download and install the latest driver versions for the chipset, storage controllers, audio and network adapters. Do not skip installing a newer driver just because you think it is not relevant to the problem you are having. The drivers for one device can often affect ALL other devices and a questionable driver release can cause instability in the OS itself. They don't release new drivers just for fun. If there is a new driver release for a component, there is a good reason for it. The same goes for BIOS updates. When it comes to the chipset drivers, if your motherboard manufacturer lists a chipset driver that is newer than what the chipset developer (Intel or AMD, for our purposes) lists, then use that one. If Intel (Or AMD) shows a chipset driver version that is newer than what is available from the motherboard product page, then use that one. Always use the newest chipset driver that you can get and always use ONLY the chipset drivers available from either the motherboard manufacturer, AMD or Intel.

IF you have other hardware installed or attached to the system that are not a part of the systems covered by the motherboard drivers, then go to the support page for THAT component and check to see if there are newer drivers available for that as well. If there are, install them.

Third,

Make sure your memory is running at the correct advertised speed in the BIOS. This may require that you set the memory to run at the XMP profile settings. Also, make sure you have the memory installed in the correct slots and that they are running in dual channel which you can check by installing CPU-Z and checking the Memory and SPD tabs. For all modern motherboards that are dual channel memory architectures, from the last ten years at least, if you have two sticks installed they should be in the A2 (Called DDR4_1 on some boards) or B2 (Called DDR4_2 on some boards) which are ALWAYS the SECOND and FOURTH slots over from the CPU socket, counting TOWARDS the edge of the motherboard EXCEPT on boards that only have two memory slots total. In that case, if you have two modules it's not rocket science, but if you have only one, then install it in the A1 or DDR4_1 slot.

Fourth,

A clean install of the graphics card drivers. Regardless of whether you "already installed the newest drivers" for your graphics card or not, it is OFTEN a good idea to do a CLEAN install of the graphics card drivers. Just installing over the old drivers OR trying to use what Nvidia and AMD consider a clean install is not good enough and does not usually give the same result as using the Display Driver Uninstaller utility. This has a very high success rate and is always worth a shot.

If you have had both Nvidia and AMD cards installed at any point on that operating system then you will want to run the DDU twice. Once for the old card drivers (ie, Nvidia or AMD) and again for the currently installed graphics card drivers (ie, AMD or Nvidia). So if you had an Nvidia card at some point in the past, run it first for Nvidia and then after that is complete, run it again for AMD if you currently have an AMD card installed.

Graphics card driver CLEAN install guide using the Wagnard tools DDU

And last, but not least, if you have never done a CLEAN install of Windows, or have upgraded from an older version to Windows 10, or have been through several spring or fall major Windows updates, it might be a very good idea to consider doing a clean install of Windows if none of these other solutions has helped. IF you are using a Windows installation from a previous system and you didn't do a clean install of Windows after building the new system, then it's 99.99% likely that you NEED to do a CLEAN install before trying any other solutions.

How to do a CLEAN installation of Windows 10, the RIGHT way

Solution

TRENDING THREADS