Question PC Restarting After GPU Change and Back ?

Oct 17, 2020
PC Specs:

ASRock extreme4 z170
i5 6600,
EVGA 980ti, ,
4 x 4GB RAM (2 pairs of different RAM).

My PC was completely fine until I put my brothers ZOTAC 1080ti in my PC to diagnose his problems (his display was going black and not getting expected fps). It was fine while using the 1080ti until I put the 980ti back into my pc. Now when I play COD Warzone and the new Cold War my PC will completely restart after a couple of minutes. A couple of times the monitor said no signal but the PC was still running. I thought it could be the CPU overheating but it only gets to 80 Celsius. Although CPU does go to 100% in Cold War.
I'm completely lost and I have no idea what to do. Thanks for any help

This is driving me insane

So do you reckon the timing is just coincidence? Thanks for you help as well mate
Possibly no. I think the 1080Ti is a slightly higher power card or running stress tests/benchmarks may have put higher than normal load on it. Maybe even possible that moving the pc dislodge something that was breaking. This is all speculation as we don’t know it’s the psu but that is my first thought.

Oct 17, 2020
Possibly no. I think the 1080Ti is a slightly higher power card or running stress tests/benchmarks may have put higher than normal load on it. Maybe even possible that moving the pc dislodge something that was breaking. This is all speculation as we don’t know it’s the psu but that is my first thought.
Alright thanks

Oct 17, 2020
Do you know if there’s any way around this so I can at least play games? Any way to not use so much power

Oct 17, 2020
Its a CX750m

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The 980ti is an EVGA SC and the 1080ti is just the Standard zotac 1080ti I think
TPU has some bios files for those cards on file.
Hmm...
EVGA 980Ti SC
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/173521/evga-gtx980ti-6144-150601
250-275w.

Standard Zotac is a little vague still.
1080Ti Turbo
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/192144/zotac-gtx1080ti-11264-170316
250-300w.

1080Ti AMP!
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/191485/zotac-gtx1080ti-11264-170330-1
270-326w.

Well, the point of this was that your brother's 1080Ti pulls a little bit more power than your card does, and maybe - just maybe, the psu didn't agree with it for that brief period of time...
One heck of a coincidence though, but crap happens.

Reactions: Barty1884
Oct 17, 2020
TPU has some bios files for those cards on file.
Hmm...
EVGA 980Ti SC
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/173521/evga-gtx980ti-6144-150601
250-275w.

Standard Zotac is a little vague still.
1080Ti Turbo
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/192144/zotac-gtx1080ti-11264-170316
250-300w.

1080Ti AMP!
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/191485/zotac-gtx1080ti-11264-170330-1
270-326w.

Well, the point of this was that your brother's 1080Ti pulls a little bit more power than your card does, and maybe - just maybe, the psu didn't agree with it for that brief period of time...
One heck of a coincidence though, but crap happens.
Thanks for your help. Doesn’t my power supply have more than enough power for the 1080ti though? In any case could I under volt my graphics card or something like that so I draws less power?

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Doesn’t my power supply have more than enough power for the 1080ti though?
Internal component quality > rated wattage. Psus also slowly degrade over time, and the output goes with it.
The CXM is near the bottom of recommended psu lines to run with gaming gpus - now, it isn't a piece of crap, but something I(at least) wouldn't feel too confident about running with halo cards like the 980Ti & 1080Ti.
You appear to have gotten by just fine on it, but recently put an even heavier load on it due to circumstances. If it weren't for that - who knows, you probably could've gotten another year or 2 out of it.

Now, the above is just logical speculation; deductive reasoning - there isn't enough information to take it as an absolute, but the only way to rule out the psu is to try another psu.
It may not even be the source, but it usually is in cases like these:
A)"All I really did was swap gpus for a bit, swap back, and now my PC isn't behaving normally."
Maybe the card isn't fully seated in the slot, or one of the pcie cables is loose. Psu aside, there's not much else to take from that.

B)"The cards in question were a 980Ti and a 1080Ti."
Support for Maxwell(900 series) hasn't been discontinued yet, so the 2 cards can literally run off the same driver packages. It's just good practice to do clean driver installs when swapping gpus.

C)Dangerously high thermals, perhaps? We've not seen any confirmation of what your 980Ti currently sees.
Going by the bios file I linked earlier, 80C and below is good, but it's not going to force a restart unless it sits at 91C for a certain period of time.

I really can't deduce much from this other than possible loose connections or the psu.

Oct 17, 2020
Internal component quality > rated wattage. Psus also slowly degrade over time, and the output goes with it.
The CXM is near the bottom of recommended psu lines to run with gaming gpus - now, it isn't a piece of crap, but something I(at least) wouldn't feel too confident about running with halo cards like the 980Ti & 1080Ti.
You appear to have gotten by just fine on it, but recently put an even heavier load on it due to circumstances. If it weren't for that - who knows, you probably could've gotten another year or 2 out of it.

Now, the above is just logical speculation; deductive reasoning - there isn't enough information to take it as an absolute, but the only way to rule out the psu is to try another psu.
It may not even be the source, but it usually is in cases like these:
A)"All I really did was swap gpus for a bit, swap back, and now my PC isn't behaving normally."
Maybe the card isn't fully seated in the slot, or one of the pcie cables is loose. Psu aside, there's not much else to take from that.

B)"The cards in question were a 980Ti and a 1080Ti."
Support for Maxwell(900 series) hasn't been discontinued yet, so the 2 cards can literally run off the same driver packages. It's just good practice to do clean driver installs when swapping gpus.

C)Dangerously high thermals, perhaps? We've not seen any confirmation of what your 980Ti currently sees.
Going by the bios file I linked earlier, 80C and below is good, but it's not going to force a restart unless it sits at 91C for a certain period of time.

I really can't deduce much from this other than possible loose connections or the psu.
I don’t think it’s the temperature as it’s been fine before now. I think everyone is right about the power supply. I set the power usage on my gpu to 85% and it seemingly gets by fine for now (at the cost of performance)

Oct 17, 2020
Last edited: