Question Pc restarting every few minutes (potential PSU issue?)

• Thread starter Deleted member 1587028
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1587028

So my PC crashed last night whilst under load, worked fine all day but crashed under load again in the evening. Over the course of the evening it became less and less stable going from lasting 5 minutes to barely getting past the sign in screen, and sometimes not even managing that. Running in safe mode helps delay it but it will still crash fairly quickly (5-10 minutes or so). It also crashes when running a linux USB (windows 10 is my os). When I say crash it literally just acts as if the cable was pulled out (no windows shutdown) and restarts. I have given it a clean out the best I can and temps seem fine. PC is around 6 years old so I'm wondering if the PSU is just dying? Rail voltages in the bios seemed ok, worst was 11.7 for the 12v, however to my knowledge that is still well within the acceptable amount. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

some PC's will hard power-off if CPU temp is beyond a certain temp.....

But, certainly a PSU is also a logical prime suspect here...

(if you can jump into BIOS, you'd be able to notice if temps are unusually high, i.e., above 60C and climbing while merely displaying BIOS)

D

Deleted member 1587028

Specs:
CPU = FX 8350
GPU = Gtx 660
Mobo = GA-970A-DS3P FX rev 2.1 (less than a year old)
RAM = 8gb specktek something (old) or 16gb corsair value select 1600mhz (about a month old)
PSU = Corsair VS650
HDD = 1tb toshiba

Stock fan, 2 case fans, no overclocking.

Temps are normal (35-45 whilst idle in bios).

All parts apart from ones noticed are coming up on 6 years. I upgraded the RAM recently, but it is crashing with the new and old ram.