[SOLVED] PC restarting often

ceriumhk

Honorable
Jul 25, 2014
Hi all

Today my PC started restarting and has done so 3-4 times in the past few hours. It seems fine when surfing the web but as soon as I start a game or tax it at all, it just switches off and on again.

I changed the power cord and extension lead and it is still happening. There was a lightning storm very close by this morning so I'm worried it's fried the power supply. However I've had issues with it turning off when I bumped the tower before (but I solved that by re-setting the GPU - thought I'd mention it anyway)

PSU: XFX XTR 750W Gold
Ryzen 5 3600, Sapphire RX 5700 XT, B450 Gaming Pro AC Carbon, Crucial P1 + Intel 660P NVME

Any advice appreciated on things to check etc

Solution
I just wanted to come back and follow up in case anyone else is searching and comes across this thread:

I tested with other RAM, another GPU, another PSU that I knew was working, bare minimum peripherals, Windows v 1909, Windows v 2004, old and new drivers.... NOTHING worked, same Kernel Power 41 error and reboot multiple times a day.

I replaced the CPU and then left Assassin's Creed Origins running for 24 hours and the last error/power cycle was on the 28th. (fingers still crossed) So, if you have this issue, definitely check the CPU!

Furzumz

Reputable
It's probably not from what I'm suggesting but could be worth a shot to check - are your computer temperatures looking okay?

I know overheating can cause computers to restart or they can do other things to try to prevent damage to hardware.

This can especially happen when your computer is under load

Last edited:

ceriumhk

Honorable
Jul 25, 2014
It's probably not from what I'm suggesting but could be worth a shot to check - are your computer temperatures looking okay?

I know overheating can cause computers to restart or they can do other things to try to prevent damage to hardware.

This can especially happen when your computer is under load

I considered this, I was watching the temps remotely with my phone and OHM (not sure how accurate that is). CPU was at ~57C and all fans seemed to be working when it shut down. I'll start up RDR2 again and watch the GPU too. I really wanted it to be temps, that's easier to fix! Thanks for the suggestion

Furzumz

Reputable
I considered this, I was watching the temps remotely with my phone and OHM (not sure how accurate that is). CPU was at ~57C and all fans seemed to be working when it shut down. I'll start up RDR2 again and watch the GPU too. I really wanted it to be temps, that's easier to fix! Thanks for the suggestion

Could always give hardware monitor a shot
https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

It'll show you the current temperature along with the highest temperature reading you hit

Only down side is it might be harder to check the temperatures before your PC restarts

ceriumhk

Honorable
Jul 25, 2014
Could always give hardware monitor a shot
https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

It'll show you the current temperature along with the highest temperature reading you hit

Only down side is it might be harder to check the temperatures before your PC restarts

Sorry if I wasn't clear - I was already checking temps with Open Hardware Monitor. They're in the normal range, even at the point of crashing. It's started shutting down all the time now, not just under load, so I think I have to take it in to the store to test/replace the power supply. Thanks anyway !

Reactions: Furzumz

ceriumhk

Honorable
Jul 25, 2014
I just wanted to come back and follow up in case anyone else is searching and comes across this thread:

I tested with other RAM, another GPU, another PSU that I knew was working, bare minimum peripherals, Windows v 1909, Windows v 2004, old and new drivers.... NOTHING worked, same Kernel Power 41 error and reboot multiple times a day.

I replaced the CPU and then left Assassin's Creed Origins running for 24 hours and the last error/power cycle was on the 28th. (fingers still crossed) So, if you have this issue, definitely check the CPU!

Reactions: Grobe
Solution