PC restarting, Possible CPU overheating(?)

Avip53

Honorable
Jan 12, 2016
I use my PC mainly for gaming, and I've been having some strange issues, my PC has been restarting for a couple of weeks, and I started monitoring the GPU,CPU and Motherboard Temperatures using HWmonitor.

it seems that while idle my CPU and motherboard operate at around 60 Celsius and my GPU seems to be running at 40 Celsius. But, when I stress them by running Rainbow Six Siege, The GPU temp stays at around 50 celsius and the motherboard and CPU temp around 85 degrees Celsius.

Could this mean my PC is overheating?
P.S Thanks in advance for all your answers.

Specs:
CPU: AMD FX-6300
GPU: Geforce GT 640
RAM: 8GB DDR3
Motherboard: Asus M5A78L LE

Solution
That message usually means a PSU problem although you do have a heat issue. If it's under a year old and ready built contact whoever you bought it from and use your warrantee

matthewkeogh50

Reputable
May 23, 2015
Hi there,

Its not the lowest temp, but at the same time I can't see this crashing your pc entirely. It could cause a frame rate drop in R6S which could crash that. But I do know from my own experience AMD cpu's run a little hot. Is it just your game that crashes? Or are you forced to restart you pc.

hope that helps
Matt :)

Avip53

Honorable
Jan 12, 2016

My pc just shutsdown when stressed, I'm lean toward thinking it's an overheat problem, but I am not sure. Is there anything I could provide for giving an insight on why is my pc shutting down?

Ok looks like the max recommended temp is around 71c http://www.buildcomputers.net/cpu-temperature.html

And from searches that cpu will shut down if it hits 90c, so at 85c you are very close and it wouldn't take much for it to hit 90c for a fraction of a second. What cooler do you have, have you cleaned out the dust, have you ever changed the thermal paste?

Another possibility is PSU failing, what make and model PSU do you have?

Avip53

Honorable
Jan 12, 2016

I'm actually not sure what PSU and Coolers I have, and I've never changed the thermal paste nor cleaned the dust. Also event viewer shows some frequent Kernel-power critical event (41).

By the way, my PC has barely 1 year of use.

But I will open it and take a look at what my PSU and coolers are.