PC restarting when gaming

ijohn

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
So this has been happening for a few months, and I have tried looking online and have found no solution. Essentially, when playing games on my PC, usually the more demanding games, my PC will just restart. No BSOD or error message or anything, just turns off, then back on.

750W Corsair Modular TX Series PSU

CoolerMaster V8 CPU Cooler

Sapphire HD7970 OC - 3GD

Intel Core i53570k

AS Rock Z77 Extreme4 Motherboard

Corsair 16GB (2x8) Dominator DDR3 1600MHz Unbuffered CL10 DIMM Memory, AMD Phenom Dual Channel DDR3 platform

If anyone has any suggestions whatsoever, please leave it here, as I'm not sure what is causing this and how to fix it.

Solution
Sounds like a power issue. IF you are using a power strip or UPS, try plugging directly into the wall socket instead. If you are not, you can test the PSU by using the follow procedures outlined in this video. It does require the use of a test meter. I know that's a fairly decent PSU but even Corvettes sometimes come from the factory with issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac7YMUcMjbw

If the PSU is good, or if you would rather just eliminate other possible causes first, you can always try running Seatools for windows to rule out the hard disk. Run the short dst followed by the long generic if it passes the shorter test. Run Memtest86 on each memory module individually for 7 passes. Running it on multiple modules may give you...
Sounds like a power issue. IF you are using a power strip or UPS, try plugging directly into the wall socket instead. If you are not, you can test the PSU by using the follow procedures outlined in this video. It does require the use of a test meter. I know that's a fairly decent PSU but even Corvettes sometimes come from the factory with issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac7YMUcMjbw

If the PSU is good, or if you would rather just eliminate other possible causes first, you can always try running Seatools for windows to rule out the hard disk. Run the short dst followed by the long generic if it passes the shorter test. Run Memtest86 on each memory module individually for 7 passes. Running it on multiple modules may give you false results and makes it impossible to know which module is throwing errors.

I'd also make absolutely sure that all the power cables inside the case are firmly plugged in. Probably a good idea to unplug and reinsert each connection including the motherboard ATX and CPU power connectors, hard driver power and SATA connectors and double check that the connectors coming from the case front panel buttons are correctly installed and are not loose.

Solution